Thursday, July 26, 2007

Embarrassing Hobbies

So. Do you have any hobbies you’re a little embarrassed about? Secret passions you’ve never told anyone about?

Since I just embarrassed myself by admitting mine to my writing pacing group, I thought, what the hell, I’ll admit it here.

Since I have nothing else to blog about.

I love poetry. I love reading poetry. Sadly, I also love writing poetry. Worse, I am not too good at it. I’m pretty bad at it, actually. I usually write it for fun, as in ... I don’t think too deep, and since I’m just doing it for fun, I often don’t bother to find that perfect word, which is pretty much the whole point of poetry.

I tend towards forms such as the haiku. I like the security of the rules (even though I broke them in 10 out of the last 16 I wrote). I like the brevity of haiku, the quickness of them, the way one word can mean so much.

But I’m always so embarrassed about it. Writing stories doesn’t quite effect me in the same way. With poetry, I blush. Even with the flippant little blog-fun that bloggers invariably have with the haiku, I always blush when I submit mine.

It really is silly.

Do you have a guilty pleasure? A secret one? An embarrassing one?

9 bonus scribbles:

avery 7/26/2007 09:55:00 PM  

I have to buy every book on on the occult, ancient religions, mystical creatures I come across -- even the ones geared towards kids that have the silly pictures and pop up flaps! I can't help myself.

Sparky Duck 7/26/2007 10:55:00 PM  

hell yes, I have a blog and i read romance paranormal novels.

Jeremy James 7/27/2007 01:29:00 AM  

Prompted to admit...
Thinking of guilty pleasures.
Sweaty summer night.

StarvingWriteNow 7/27/2007 07:42:00 AM  

Tash, we both know about guilty pleasures. And if you've forgotten, just ask Eddie...

spyscribbler 7/27/2007 08:37:00 AM  

Oh, Avery! That sounds like a fascinating and fun hobby!

Sparky, you're certainly not suggesting that a blog is an embarrassing hobby, are you? LOL ...

Hah! So cool, Jeremy! I was hoping someone would leave a haiku! And such a good one, too ... Aren't they a blast?

So true, Starving! But I don't feel guilty about those pleasures!

Meg Gardiner,  7/27/2007 01:57:00 PM  

Don't know whether it's a hobby or a character defect... I was a mime.

It's great to see your picture on the blog!

OpenChannel 8/01/2007 06:52:00 PM  

Okay, being a poet and someone who teaches poety, I must respond.

Why in the world should anyone be embarrassed by the fact that they love to read/write poetry?

Saying you like or dislike poetry is like saying you like or dislike music. Do you mean country music? Rap music? Opera? Heavy Metal? Ska? Emo? Folk?

Sure, there's a lot of bad poetry (and a lot of bad music) out there. But look around and you'll find some really terrific stuff.

One of the hippest poets in North America died on July 20th. Sekou Sundiata brought down the house when he performed. He went on tour with Ani DiFranco. He was smart, political, and an amazing artist.

I was just at Burning Word this summer in Washington State and when headliner Naomi Shihab Nye read, there was not a dry eye in the audience.

And if you want to find some really interesting stuff, check out The 3:15 Experiment (www.315experiment.com)

Okay, I'm climbing down from my soapbox now. As you can tell, I'm passionate about the subject. I just hate it when poetry gets a bad rep and I've been turning students on to poetry for years.

And, hey, Spy Scribbler, if you e-mail me your address, I'll send you a copy of my spokenword CD or a book.

spyscribbler 8/01/2007 06:59:00 PM  

Thanks, openchannel!

Please don't misunderstand. The embarrassing part is that I enjoy writing BAD poetry, LOL. It's a sinful pleasure, believe me. The cornier and the more formulaic the challenge, the more I enjoy it. :-)

I don't, however, feel the slightest bit embarrassed about enjoying poetry! Both bad and good!

OpenChannel 8/01/2007 08:36:00 PM  

LOL.

Well, like I said, it's something I've been championing for years.

Sometimes I've gone into classrooms and a bunch of kids say "i hate poetry" and the ones who write it put up their hands sheepishly like they're ashamed of it and I think that's too bad. (that's mostly after elementary school, mind you, before that they'll share anything)

You just hit a note for me, that's all.

Enjoy your poetry (good and bad). The offer still stands, though. We poets love having fans. :-)