Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Joys of Hammocks

It’s been a rocky two days. First, I obsessed over missing my jeep while it’s getting an overhaul. Then I obsessed about clothes for the National conference. When DH left for two months? It all came out. I don’t think I really cared about the jeep or the clothes, LOL, but it was a heck of a lot easier to obsess about those than think about missing DH.

Boy, do I miss him.

Last night I slept under the open sky in a hammock. Pure bliss.

Today I’m cleaning before National and packing. Liz Wolfe has wisely advised that I do what I need to do to get what I need out of the conference.

Sadly, it doesn’t seem they have what I most need: marketing info, what to do with your work after it’s published, your career after "how to pitch, query ...", etc.

Barring that, I pretty much just want to talk to adults. Most of my conversation is with kids, and when I’m not teaching, I’m sitting in a corner and writing.

I’m not nervous about my clothes anymore, but I am nervous about my schedule. There are several 15-hour days. What was I thinking??? I have a feeling I’ll be skipping quite a few workshops. And I wanted to write while I’m there, too!

So anyway, if you’re going, what do you want/need to get out of the conference? If you were going, why would you go?

5 bonus scribbles:

Zoe 7/08/2007 05:20:00 PM  

That's awesome about the hammock lol.

I had considered getting a hammock for my screened in porch. So I could lay out there during thunderstorms. I love thunderstorms.

Susan Helene Gottfried 7/08/2007 08:39:00 PM  

Yeah, it DOES seem as if many of these conferences are aimed at people who need to pitch. And that's fine. Let's not worry about what happens after until we're there.

Then we can muddle through together and hold each other's hands and learn from each other's mistakes.

As for the hammock and sleeping outside, I envy you. I would not feel safe enough doing that; heck, I'm not sure how safe I'll feel at Boy Scout Camp in two weeks, in a tent! I mean... what if a bear comes around? There won't be food in the tent, but what if I smell like food? Or worse, my kid does???

As for clothes, wear what makes you feel most like yourself. At my last convention, I showed up in jeans and my belt (if you remember the whole thing about my belt), my Cole Haan boots, and attitude galore. Man, I felt good. Even though the newsletter had said we should dress business casual, I said Bite Me. Take me as I am, and this is who I am.

Savor the hammock. It's a hotel bed for you soon enough!

StarvingWriteNow 7/09/2007 06:18:00 AM  

Have fun at Nationals! Oh, and good pun at the beginning: joy of hammocks, rocky two days... :}

Michele 7/09/2007 10:46:00 AM  

Hey, I'll be in Dallas, too!

My friends and I usually skip most of the workshops because a lot of the networking happens in the bar/lounge/lobby/restraurants where you can really get to know other writers and publishing professionals on a personal and friendly basis (no pitching, just friendly conversation).

This year, however, I do intend to hit a couple workshops (Michael Hauge's and some publishing house spotlights).

I hope we run into one another there!! :-)

Michele

P.S. LOVE your hammock story.

Liz Wolfe 7/09/2007 11:45:00 AM  

Have a great time and don't worry about the 15 hour days. It's normal to be sleep deprived after a conference. And it's worth it.