Thursday, July 26, 2007

Just Questions

When you belong to an organization, live in a democracy, do you just take the good and ignore the bad? Or is it a citizen’s and member’s duty to make the organization/country a better place?

If everyone shrugs and says to ignore the bad, then won’t the bad fester and grow like a cancer?

Where’s the line between ridding someone negative in your life, and letting down an old (ex?) friend during his/her greatest time of need?

Where’s the line between getting rid of negativity in your life, and making the world a better place?

Where’s the line between our responsibility to society, and making ourselves happy?

And since I’m eating sour strawberries this morning: isn’t it sad when fruit needs sugar?

5 bonus scribbles:

Jennifer McK 7/26/2007 09:55:00 AM  

I believe ignoring the bad is called "Denial".
For me, I pay attention to it, but there comes a time when I have to just accept it.
I don't, however, have to like it.

Erica Orloff 7/26/2007 11:41:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
I have marched on Washington, D.C. in the middle of winter, with all my kids in tow. I want them to think it's OUR country and we have a voice on things even when nothing instantly changes.

I don't ignore the bad. I give a wide berth to differences, but there is a line in the sand--I guess I intuit where it is for me . . . and when something crosses it, I try to DO something. When I would read about peopel complaining about teen pregnancy rates, the ghetto, crack, and poverty . . . at some point, I thought, I can save ONE child. So I became a mentor to unwed teen moms from the worst of the neighborhoods. At times, I was terrified . . . but my teens went to school, got their degrees, went on the college. You can make a difference and I believe that.


E

spyscribbler 7/27/2007 08:40:00 AM  

Very true, Jennifer. Ugh, such hard questions!

Erica, you've led the coolest life, I swear. You should be proud of your kids!

That line in the sand is what I'm having difficulty with at the moment. At some point, I'm going to have to think on it some more.

Bernita 7/27/2007 10:22:00 AM  

I think life is a series of judgement calls.

Susan Helene Gottfried 7/30/2007 02:52:00 PM  

The Tour Manager and I were just discussing this last night, in reference to getting the Opening Act into school. Do we fight for only her, or do we fight the school to make a more reasonable policy?

We haven't come up with a solution to that one yet.