Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Morning Grumblings

I’m so annoyed. My one publisher is over three months behind in reporting and paying my royalties. Actually, she’s six months behind with part of them. And she’s up and disappeared. I swear, some days it feels like the last thing American society cares about is paying people on time.

Since it’s morning and I’m grumpy in the morning, I’ll expand on another question that’s been bugging me: who are our heroes going to be in the next decade and on?

I look at kids today--no, parents today, so people my age, my generation--and ’selfish’ is the word that comes to mind. Parents seem to care about convenience first, about their kid first, and respecting the order of society seems the last priority.

For example, when I was growing up, if no money for something was around, we didn’t steal money from our bills. Nowadays? People skip paying their bills to go on vacation, buy iPods for their kids, etc. Keeping up with the Jones’ is more important than keeping up with the bills.

I don’t see parents teaching their kids social responsibility. ’Protect the self’ seems the battle cry of this upcoming generation. It’s not their fault, of course. It’s my generation’s fault. Or is it the fault of our parents?

Or maybe the world has to give a reason to inspire a generation to think outside their own little world. Or maybe it’s just the community I live in.

But I swear, something’s wrong when a child thinks it’s funny that his mom doesn’t pay her bills on time.

The very worst thing about being self-employed? The feeling of having to beg for honestly-earned money. That’s why I aspire to make music my hobby one day. I want to do it for the love--not for the money anymore. There’s a big difference. I’ve never written except for money, so writing with the goal of money doesn’t bother me. I don’t know if that makes my love more for music or writing. I suppose it doesn’t matter. They’ll both be part of my life.

So how’s your morning going? Better, I hope?

6 bonus scribbles:

Therese 7/03/2007 02:48:00 PM  

I kinda like getting paid, too.

My day's been good--got my first fan mail! Makes it all worthwhile...

The Dark Scribe 7/03/2007 04:03:00 PM  

Let's see...I spent my morning standing around at work, my mouth agape, as a mom sat in the children's department reading US Weekly while her child was screeching and crying and knocking books on the floor and kicking them.

So no, it wasn't a great morning, either. And, oddly enough, it ties into your complaint about parents. Pure, unabashed selfishness.

Susan Helene Gottfried 7/03/2007 06:22:00 PM  

We won't get into my morning, even though the gym owner and my trainer say I'm right on this one.

Actually, I dropped in to invite you to come hang with me and my kids for a bit. We might restore your faith in humanity.

At least, I'm doing my best. Keep up with the Joneses? Why would I want to do that, when they can keep up with me? (what? They wouldn't have an iPhone?)

MerylF 7/03/2007 06:39:00 PM  

To look at the upcoming heroes of the next generation, just look at what they like now; a sponge, a packet of fries, a trailer trash kid in a parka.

I don't think there are that many heroes out there for kids anymore. There are better heroes for adults.

Stewart Sternberg 7/04/2007 01:05:00 AM  

We live in a country where the government runs up a deficit and acts as though its no big deal that we'll be paying interest on it for the next several years. Maybe into the next generation.

So our government sets the tempo and consumers follow.

spyscribbler 7/04/2007 05:23:00 AM  

Oh, Therese! Isn't it wonderful? Reader mail can send me on drunken, happy blabberings. I'm in stupid love with my readers. You could say that I'm the crazy, drooling fan of them, not the other way around. :-)

Ohmigawd, Dark Scribe. You shoulda been at Borders! There was a lady doing the same thing, except her kid was throwing one of those screaming temper tantrums. Headache city!

Susan, you're right. :-) There are quite a few gems of children in our society, who I can't wait to see grow up. They definitely restore my faith in humanity. But there are those others that scare me.

Merylf, very true! I talk to my students about heroes all the time. They can't seem to pinpoint a hero they have. A few studies have shown that the majority think fame is the most important thing in life. Yikes.

Stewart, wow. I believe you've hit upon something really true, there. I actually don't have any faith that we'll ever pay that off. I believe each president will just push it forward to the next administration. Kinda like our society does with their debt. Sad, sad, sad.