Friday, July 06, 2007

National Conference & My Poor Jeep

Two good and two bad pieces of news today.

First, DH leaves for two months on work, tomorrow. *insert very sad face* We both work at home, so we’re accustomed to spending every minute of the day together. God, I’m gonna miss him like crazy.

Second, we dropped off the Jeep at the hospital. I’m not sure if you’re aware of how much I love my Jeep, but ... it’s my baby. I can’t think of anything more fun than driving down the road with the top off, with the sun shining and the wind whipping my hair everywhere. I am definitely a Jeep kind of woman. It will probably be fixed soon, but I’m not sure if I can pick it up until DH gets home.

The first good news is that my "niece’s" baptism is Sunday!

The second good news is that I leave for the National RWA Conference on Tuesday! I can’t wait! I’ve booked my schedule with volunteering and such, but I think I might get to meet with one of my editors! She has such great ideas; I’m thrilled.

I’m not known for being too studious at conferences. I write every day, so I figure a conference is a bit of a vacation and an opportunity to hang out with other writers. (You should see how much writing I get done on writing retreats--Hah!) There are tons of great workshops, so we’ll see. At my piano conferences, my mind goes blank after a couple days. I’ve been known to skip most of the last day, LOL.

I’ll spring for internet a couple of the days and post all about it, but I won’t have time to visit y’all’s blogs. (Lame-oh, Natasha!) I’m sorry! I have the following week off, so one day I’m gonna sleep in and then blogsurf in my pajamas all day. Sounds heavenly, doesn’t it?

So what about you? When you go to a conference, do you mostly go for the editor/agent appointments, the workshops, or the camaraderie? Have you been to a National RWA conference? Any advice or wisdom to offer? Anything special you want me to check out and blog about, if you’re not going?

5 bonus scribbles:

Liz Wolfe 7/07/2007 01:15:00 AM  

Have a great time!
I usually end up going for the camaraderie, along with an appointment or two. Conferences are some of the few opportunities we have to interact (on a live basis) with other authors/publishing professionals.
I did RT for the first time this year and within a few hours had a fan say "Liz Wolfe? Oh, I love your books."
I can't even tell you what that feels like. It's awesome. More than awesome.
As for what to check out? Everything? I look forward to whatever and whenever you can post. Do whatever you need to do to get what YOU need out of the conference.

Anissa 7/07/2007 11:05:00 AM  

How exciting! I've always wanted to go to RWA national. Maybe in the next couple years. :)

I'm with Liz, do what feels right to you. We're glad for any posts you can squeeze in. I would just be beyond excited to be around so many fellow writers. That must totally rock! Have a great time. :)

Zoe 7/07/2007 07:56:00 PM  

Hey Spy! Long time no talky talky (my fault not yours hehe. I've been all away being hermity but then I missed my fellow writing peeps.)

My hubby's going out of town on Monday...for a week. Not nearly as bad as a month, but...it's sometimes nice to be that "single girl" again. I don't know if you have kids or not, so if you do, then this might not be possible, but I live like a college student (weird hours, mac and cheese) when my hubby's away and though I miss him, it's lots of fun to be temporarily single.

Ann 7/08/2007 07:51:00 AM  

Have a great time!

Erik Ivan James 7/08/2007 09:32:00 AM  

ENJOY1

~laughing~
Yeah, find out if Alpha-male writers like me are allowed to join RWA.