Friday, July 27, 2007

Quirks

Remember back a few years ago, when 99% of people did NOT have cell phones? And if you did, they were only for emergencies? No! Sorry, they weren’t even cell phones. They were BAG phones.

Back then, since you actually dialed people’s numbers, rather than going into your address book on your phone, you probably had a bunch of phone numbers memorized. I remember having everyone’s phone number memorized. We were all so practiced at memorizing phone numbers, that if someone gave us their phone number, we could memorize it in an instant.

Remembering that reminded me that we artists have quirks.

Back then, I was also in conservatory. Life revolved around stuffing more and more notes in our memory. (The center of every pianist’s life in conservatory seems to revolve around memorizing more damn notes, faster and better.)

My boyfriend’s reaction to this stress was a decision to forget all the phone numbers he had memorized, so that he had more "room" for notes. Instantly, at his decision, he forgot every single phone number he’d once known.

It was a little funny, LOL, even more fun to poke loving fun at.

I used to be a pretty organized person. Not completely so, but ...

Once DH came around, he gradually made life easier. He tended to remember things, so I didn’t bother anymore. He organized our bills, our mailings, our businessy-end of the business, our cleaning, etc. He just kind of remembers everything.

So I forgot. I’ve drifted toward the absent-minded artist stereotype. It’s a nice way to live an artist’s life, LOL. This weekend, I’ve got to get a handle on everything. I’m so busy, that’s I’m not that depressed anymore. That’s a good thing!

So what quirks do you have about your writing? Your artist’s life? Do you still have phone numbers memorized, or have they disappeared from lack of practice, from in-phone speed dials and contact lists?

6 bonus scribbles:

alternatefish 7/27/2007 10:42:00 AM  

I can remember the three phone numbers I had memorized before I got a cell phone: parents and best friend. Post cell phone, yeah, I don't even know what someone's area code is.

as to quirks...I'm pretty unquirky, but my roommates can all tell when I'm having a bad day because I start baking. Usually I'm either doing homework or writing; if I'm doing badly with one I do the other. When I can't do either, I drown my sorrows in double-chocolate brownies.

StarvingWriteNow 7/27/2007 11:43:00 AM  

This is funny. I can remember phone numbers I memorized in my youth--and the friends don't live there any more or anything. I can remember loads of stuff I memorized back then, but try to keep anything more than a few minutes today? Forget it!

Did you sign up for the retreat?

Karen Olson 7/28/2007 11:28:00 AM  

I still memorize phone numbers. Habit from being a reporter. But of course the older I get that's all I can remember. Sad, very sad. I will be in the rocking chair at the nursing home reciting phone numbers...and not much else.

avery 7/28/2007 11:47:00 PM  

I try to memorize all the important numbers. You never know.

I'm a crazy organization freak, and it's bled into my writing life. My desk has to be clean and free of clutter. I have a file cabinet by my desk with files on every character in my books. I have index cards on every topic relevant to my story, filed alphabetically. Like I said, I'm a freak. But, I can be writing, need a particular fact, and can just reach for it without thinking. It keeps my head where it needs to be.

Bernita 7/29/2007 07:44:00 AM  

Trouble is - numbers change more frequently now.

spyscribbler 7/29/2007 11:08:00 AM  

alternatefish, I bet it's hard for your roommates to be sorry you're having a bad day! A baking roommate is a roommate to treasure!

Starving, I said a "maybe." I'm supposed to go to another conference, but I'm thinking I won't. We'll have to see.

LOL, Karen! It was good for our memory to memorize all those phone numbers. Nowadays, I never even dial phone numbers. Like Starving, I remember numbers from my childhood.

Avery, I want, want, want your quirk. What a great quirk to have! I envy you, really!

Bernita, so true! They change every couple years, especially with people who've gotten rid of their landlines in favor of their cell phones.