Thursday, August 09, 2007

About that 24 and Jack Bauer

Scroll down for my Thursday Thirteen post! This is sort of an addendum to questions asked in the comments section. Plus a rambling.

Several asked me who Jack Bauer is (main character played by Kiefer Sutherland), and what 24 is. It’s a show on FOX featuring Jack Bauer, the star member of a counterterrorism center in Los Angeles. He saves the world. All the time. Over and over. He has a direct line to the president. And he can tell his superiors what to do, he’s that good. He can even disobey direct orders!

It’s a show that’s always good at upping the ante and deepening the conflict, but it does require suspending a certain amount of disbelief. Therefore, it’s as fun to watch it seriously as it is to make fun of it. :-)

The season is always about one day, 24 episodes long. (One episode for each hour; 24 hours in a day, you get the picture.)

If you’ve never seen it, check it out! It’s a blast!

As far as the jokes, nope, I did not make any of them up. I would give credit where credit is due, but they are all viral-type jokes whose author/s have been obscured long ago. Each joke listed here was stumbled upon over MANY sites. They’re everywhere. :-)

Finally, I received a free audiobook in the mail, from Jerry Spinelli’s publisher. No explanation. Weird. Either it’s something to do with being on some RWA list, or it’s to do with teaching. Since he’s a children’s author, I vote for the latter.

Has that ever happened to you? Bizarre.

Sadly, the excerpt says he has "lyrical prose," and the tiny tidbit tells me it’s true! So why would I want to hear it? If the prose is as beautiful as promised, I want to read it, not listen to it!

But we shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth, huh? It does seem like it’ll be a good book!

3 bonus scribbles:

Karen Olson 8/09/2007 06:25:00 PM  

Have never seen 24, but everyone in my office watches it. My boss calls it his fascist guilty pleasure :)

Christine d'Abo 8/09/2007 07:34:00 PM  

Love 24! I can't wait to see what they are going to do next season. There's been some interesting speculation about it.

ERiCA 8/10/2007 09:36:00 AM  

Finally, I received a free audiobook in the mail, from Jerry Spinelli’s publisher. No explanation. Weird. Has that ever happened to you?

I recently received an audio CD in the mail. Also no explanation. Totally random. I'd never heard of the band. I asked around and most of my friends hadn't heard of them either, but another friend said she loved that band and I should listen to the CD. Have no idea what list I got on. A different friend across the country got a random, explanation-less CD for a different band about a month earlier. Maybe it's some new marketing strategy? Who knows.