Friday, August 17, 2007

Back When ...

Back when my TV lived in the closet, I used to sit on the front porch and drink wine with a friend. I used to sit and watch thunderstorms. Or the people pass by, the cars drive past.

Back when my TV lived in the closet, I used to sit around with friends, listening to good music and telling stories. I used to make dinner for friends, throw parties just for fun.

Back when my TV lived in the closet, I used to take walks at night, just to think. I used to stop by the park and swing on the swingset at midnight. Kick back on a bench and stare at the stars.

Back when my TV lived in the closet, I used to regularly call my friends and spend hours on the phone. I’d write real, honest-to-God letters with my fountain pen on pretty stationery, the kind of letter you put in a box and keep.

Back when I had no car, I used to hop on the transit train and ride it both ways, just to sit and think. A trip on the bus to downtown for window shopping was a big treat, topped off with a movie at the theater. An indulgence, just for me.

Back when I had no car and no TV, I had no TBR pile--just an R pile.

You know, I ache for those days. Why can’t we have them, again?

6 bonus scribbles:

Kate S 8/17/2007 05:22:00 PM  

Well, for the past two months I haven't had a TV and I haven't missed it, either, other than the occassional pang of longing for the British comedies and mysteries on the PBS channel.

What I have found, however, is that I've been reading a whole lot more, which is nice. :) I've been thinking of getting rid of my car as well since I'm so close to the train station, but so far, I haven't had the courage.

Liz Wolfe 8/18/2007 01:47:00 AM  

I lived without a car for years. San Francisco has (or did at that time) a fantastic public transit system. It was actually MORE convenient to take the bus/trolley/cable car than to try to park a car.
I dont' watch a LOT of tv, but what I watch, I'm addicted to.
My sister raised two kids without a tv set in the house. People used to look at her curiously and ask "But what do you DO at night?"
Uhhh, talk, play games, read?

StarvingWriteNow 8/18/2007 08:10:00 AM  

You can, dear. Just put your TV back in the closet. (Don't forget to cancel your cable, either...)

Susan Helene Gottfried 8/18/2007 12:02:00 PM  

My problem's not the TV. It's this here blog-o-sphere. MUCH harder to stop being addicted to.

spyscribbler 8/18/2007 03:17:00 PM  

Oh, Kate. Liz. Starving.

You're right. I should just get rid of the TV. I want the best of both worlds, though. Is that possible? Probably not.

Oh, right, Susan! The blog-o-sphere sure doesn't help! You're right!

Aimless Writer 8/18/2007 03:20:00 PM  

I second the blog-o-sphere addict more then the TV. I like to read...blogs are wonderfully diverse and interesting...addicting!
I only leave the TV on for background noise to quiet the ringing in my ears. (anyone have a cure for that? email me!)
We could give up the computers and write letters---but then I'd have to get a typerwriter for submissions.
We could give up the cars for horses--but who will shovel the exhaust?
We could bring back the wine and friends on the front porch...I'm heading to the liquor store right now!
:)
Good post spy