Friday, August 24, 2007

Do You Worry? Ideas.

Do you ever worry about fellow bloggers? Wonder how their doing? I mean, when they disappear without explanation for more-than-usual days?

Just curious.

I don’t know if it’s obvious to you, but it has been finally made clear to me that my pseudonym is a far more confident and experienced writer than my real name. Yesterday, my pseudonym was told by a respected and reliable source (my one publisher, who’s been doing it way before Ellora’s Cave, and pretty much knows the entire niche), that my pseudonym’s idea was really, really different.

What’s strange, is the pseudonym had felt it contained elements of everything else. She had really sat at home (after sending it off), worrying that publisher would read it and say "Argh, not this again." It hadn’t felt at all different. She’d thought it was just a slight variation on a theme.

Which led me to (in a moment of split personalities, LOL) ask my pseudonym how she came up with ideas.

Can you believe it? I asked the number one annoying question of myself!!

And she didn’t know. But she did know a couple things.

  • She didn’t try to come up with an original idea. She just sorta put together an idea and didn’t worry at all about whether it was original or breakout-worthy.
  • She barely gave the idea part any thought. She literally thought two words, pitched two words, and then sat down to write.
  • And when she sat down to write, she didn’t have one second thought that she’d be able to flesh out and continue the idea through the end of the novella. She just knew she’d make it work, just like every other idea she has.

My real name has none of her confidence. My real name is obsessed and worried about coming up with an idea that’s "good enough" for NY. My real name writes a little, looks around, and tells herself that there are SO MANY better writers out there. My real name does not have the confidence that she’ll make whichever idea she has work, that whichever idea she chooses will be just fine. And my real name is obviously struggling a whole lot more to write.

My real name and pseudonym are in negotiations. The real name would like the pseudonym to ghost write her first novel for her NY dream, in exchange for continued embodiment, care, feeding, and clothing. My pseudonym keeps complaining that she’s already typing her fingers off to feed and clothe the real name. I’ll let you know how it turns out. :-p

On a less insane note, my baby’s back home! And his bestest bud brother spent ten straight minutes, literally sniffing every single hair on his body. I guess to make sure it was really him? Find out where he’d been? Make sure he hadn’t changed?

Now the Little Bit won’t go near him, because Big Guy smells like the horrible experience he had in the hospital. *sigh* My Big Guy seems depressed, since coming home. I hope he peed last night, but I’m afraid he didn’t. So I’m sitting here, hoping to witness this illustrious event before I have to leave and get stuff done.

AND, DH comes home in 8 days!!!!! Ohmigawd, I miss him SOOOOOo much!

6 bonus scribbles:

meljean brook 8/24/2007 03:06:00 PM  

Oh, wow. I can tell that I've been reading from Google Reader for too long, because your site has completely changed! *boggles*

I do worry about bloggers who are gone for long periods of time, with no real notice.

I hope you and your pseudonym work things out. She sounds pretty sensible in that bulleted list, but sensible and writing don't always go together, I guess. :-D

Kate S 8/24/2007 10:21:00 PM  

Yes, I do worry about MIA bloggers. I try to tap on their monitors and leave little notes under their keyboards to see if they respond.

Kitties are too funny. Hope your little guy is ok.

Happy your DH is coming home soon - I'm sure he'd love a threesome with real name and pseudonym after being gone so long. ;)

Edie 8/25/2007 12:31:00 AM  

So funny about you and your pseudonym. It reminds me about the blonde in TV show Heroes, the one whose dead twin sister is her alter ego and sometimes takes over her body--then beats the crap out of everyone. (I think it's the dead twin sister.)

It sounds like you've got good times ahead. First your kitty, and soon your hubby. :)

Bernita 8/25/2007 08:37:00 AM  

That might be the most valuable and unusual benefit from using a pseudonym I've ever read.

OpenChannel 8/25/2007 04:33:00 PM  

I agree with Bernita! It's like soul searching... we're always asking ourselves questions anyway, right? So why not give that "other person" a name.

I worry about other bloggers, too. I know one who is going through chemotherapy right now, so I always send him a private e-mail if I don't see a new post for a while.

Where's your TT this week? :-) I left a haiku at the bottom of mine just for you. :-)

writtenwyrdd 8/27/2007 03:28:00 PM  

Ditto bernita! LOL.

As for the cats, when one cat ran away and also when one was in the hospital for a couple of days, the smell was different enough there was a cat fight! Cats, it turns out, base recognition on smell more than any other sense. And since they aren't pack animals, they are a bit more picky than dogs about it. Wait...they're cats; they're just picky.