Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Haiku. Nonsense. Will Smith runs.

No sleep, miss DH.
Cold shower, broken heater.
Extrapolate mood.

Actually, I’m getting pretty comfortable with the no-sleep thing, since DH left. The trick, it seems, is you have to get up super early. I can’t stay up until 5 and wake up 9, but I can go to sleep at 1 and wake up 5. (Or go to sleep at 3 and wake up at 5, in this case.)

Oh my gosh. Not again. Another nonsense post. Maybe I should just stop posting until Monday, when I can turn the writing brain back on.

Okay, here’s something useful: an inspiring interview with Will Smith, from Reader’s Digest. Skip the bits about marriage. Here’s a tidbit (I didn’t quote some good bits, so check out the link, if you can):

RD: Do you get tired of pushing?
Smith: Not yet. There is no pain worse than not achieving a dream when it is your fault. If God did not want you to have it, that is one thing. But if you do not get what you desire because you are lazy, there is no pain worse than that.

RD: Have you always been a runner?
Smith: I started about five years ago. Running introduces you to your worst enemy, to that person who tells you, "Ooh, our ankles hurt and we should stop. Why do we need to run five miles? Let us run three." (...) If you start giving in to that person, you will never get to your goals.

(That seemed a lot better when I first read and bookmarked it. Huh.)

3 bonus scribbles:

Susan Helene Gottfried 8/14/2007 08:53:00 PM  

LOVE the haiku, Spy!!! That rocks -- and yes, the interview's not so cheesy, either. At least that excerpt.

I have something to get your mind off things, if you're interested... drop me an e-mail...

Edie 8/15/2007 12:23:00 AM  

Love the haiku too. The article is great! Will Smith would be a good character in a book. Not sure if I see him as a hero. As for running when your ankle hurts... I listen to my body now. If my body is tired, then I'd keep running, but not with a sore ankle.

spyscribbler 8/15/2007 08:49:00 PM  

I'm curious, Susan!

Thanks, Edie. I agree with you about listening to one's body. We're smarter about that than modern medicine sometimes realizes!