Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I'm younger than that now.

Agent Nathan Bransford is pet-peeving about rhetorical questions. I don’t want to talk about rhetorical questions, but a commenter tried to redeem rhetorical questions by quoting a Bob Dylan song:

How many roads does a man walk down before you call him a man?

I read that, and my heart did this totally clutchy thing like, ohmigawd! Bob Dylan! See, I haven’t listened to Bob Dylan in years, but I used to listen to his stuff nearly every day. His lyrics are poetry, man.

Well, my road might be rocky,
The stones might cut my face.
My road it might be rocky,
The stones might cut my face.
But as some folks ain’t got no road at all,
They gotta stand in the same old place.
Hey, hey, so I guess I’m doin’ fine.

How does that happen? How do you completely forget something you love? What’s something that really spoke to you, to the point of being a part of your life, that’s ... just disappeared? Forgotten?

I’ll leave you with my favorite Dylan quote:

Ah, but I was so much older then,
I’m younger than that now.

4 bonus scribbles:

Erica Orloff 8/28/2007 05:04:00 PM  

God, I love Dylan. But he's on my iPod and in my life! Tangled Up in Blue!

Hmm . . . neat question. Well . . . I have "lost" things like jigsaw puzzles and certain hobbies and when I get back to them, I suddenly "remember" how happy they make me.

Sometimes, I do forget certain music that I lived for . . . like the Clash. Joe Strummer! And then I'll hear them somewhere and think, "Gotta go download that for my iPod and reconnect." Recently did that with The Smiths. I spent a whole summer listening to How Soon Is Now when I was 18 or so. But then forgot them and their drama. Now . . . love 'em again.
E

spyscribbler 8/28/2007 09:33:00 PM  

The Smiths!!!!!! Ohmigosh, LOL, I listened to them SO much. And King Crimson. The Cure, U2.

Those were the days!

I'm just getting into iTunes, but I don't have an iPod yet. I want one, though, especially since I just bought a Dylan album. :-)

StarvingWriteNow 8/29/2007 06:42:00 AM  

I'm a late-bloomer Dylan fan; started listening to him in my late 20s. Funny thing, both times I've ever been to the Rock Hall there has been a Dylan exhibit going on.

spyscribbler 8/29/2007 02:16:00 PM  

Really? I haven't been there for ages, since the opening months, I believe. I really have to hop down there again! I hope a Dylan exhibit is up for me!