Saturday, August 11, 2007

Movie Indulgence

I had a wonderful day, today! I’ve been working so hard, I decided to take a day off this weekend. First, I slept in until 10. Then, I watched Bridge to Terabithia.

Have you seen it? Bridge to Terabithia was one of my most favorite books growing up. When I saw the previews, I didn’t want to see it. May I say how misleading the previews were? The previews led me to believe that it was going to focus on the fantasy world, and not on the real story.

But the movie lived up to its book. I cried my eyes out, which is something I actually enjoy doing when it’s to do with a story. Granted, I haven’t read the book in probably twenty-five years, but the movie gave me the same emotional experience.

Then I saw Stardust. Amazing, wonderful, and it’s not a kids movie. It’s not not a kids movie, it’s just not a kids movie. Kids, though, would probably enjoy it quite a lot. I loved every bit of it. Anything to do with Neil Gaiman tends to make me fall in love with story all over again.

And I finally saw the fifth Harry Potter movie. The movie did SUCH a better job of Sirius’s death. I was disappointed in the book, because it robbed me of the emotional experience of Sirius’s death, simply because I kept thinking, "But he just disappeared behind a curtain! How can he be dead? Why can’t he walk back through the curtain? Harry, why are you fussing so much? It’s just a curtain!"

So I sat in confusion instead of grieving. You know, book 5 and 7 are probably my least favorite.

My foot hurts. It’s doing worse, after a year. Worse, I’m losing hope. Oh well. There must be a reason. I always think, if I can find the reason, the lesson I’m supposed to learn, then I can move on and my foot will heal. Or that if I imagine it being well hard enough, it’ll heal itself. Which of course leads to me thinking I’m a failure, when it doesn’t get better. LOL, it’s an insane circle that I lived through when I was sick. This is so not as bad. Maybe my lesson is to stop feeling sorry for myself! It’s just a foot. I do miss taking walks, though. And I’m starting to get sad when people talk about taekwondo. I did love learning taekwondo. I can’t really remember having that much fun, ever.

So have you seen any movies recently? Looking forward to any? Fantasy seems BIG! Most of the previews I saw were fantasy-related, with big name actors. A lot of good movies to look forward to, this next year!

9 bonus scribbles:

OpenChannel 8/12/2007 01:13:00 AM  

I'm so jealous of you! I haven't gone to a movie in a while and I haven't seen any of those films yet.

I JUST read Stardust last month and I had no idea it was being made into a movie. (It just opened yesterday here in Canada and I don't have a TV, so don't see many previews). I adored the book. Couldn't put it down. Although the ending was a little anti-climactic, the rest was brilliant.

Karen Olson 8/12/2007 10:44:00 AM  

I wasn't sure about Stardust because the NYTimes didn't give it a very good review.

I want to see the new Bourne movie. But because we rarely see anything (having a child interferes with actually going out to the movies), we'll probably end up seeing it on DVD.

Rhonda Stapleton 8/12/2007 11:05:00 AM  

I haven't seen Stardust yet, but I saw the other two...I had the same reactions!!

I am SO going to check out the book first, then watch the movie... :D

Kate S 8/12/2007 11:39:00 PM  

Stardust, The Golden Compass, Bridge to Terabithia and Pan's Labyrinth are all on my "to watch" wish list. Just haven't had the chance yet, though I did see the 5th Harry Potter and have to say that you hit the nail on the head with your comments about Sirius' death in the book and the movie. I felt exactly the same way!

As for fantasy movies being big right now, Stewart Sternberg has an interesting post about that on his blog today.

Erica Orloff 8/13/2007 08:42:00 AM  

Lucky you on the movies! My older son turned 12 and I (lucky me) got to take him and his buddies to The Simpsons Movie. I would SO much rather have been in the Stardust theater!!!!!!!!!!
E

ERiCA 8/13/2007 10:48:00 AM  

I read Bridge to Terabithia many, many years ago, and was out of the country when the movie came out. Then, recently, I was on an airplane cross-country, and that was the movie they showed. Why, oh, why? It was every bit as evocative as the book, and I spent most of the flight sobbing, thirty-thousand feet above the earth. But it was definitely a good movie! =)

The Cat Realm 8/13/2007 10:52:00 AM  

Our maid will probably go and see Stardust. We don't go to movies...
What happened to your foot? Whatever it was, we hope you'll get better soon!
Karl and Anastasia

FRIGGA 8/13/2007 12:14:00 PM  

Hey, I wanted to stop by to let you know I posted the results of my TT13 - Movies. It's up at http://anyapples.blogspot.com/

avery 8/13/2007 05:24:00 PM  

I'm geared up to see Stardust hopefully sometime next week.

I got to watch Bridge to Terabithia in the car with my nieces and nephew on the way to Hershey Park. I read it in sixth grade, so I'd forgotten all but the very end of the story. I couldn't even remember that they'd had a fantasy world.

I think I'm one of the few people in the world who liked the fifth Harry Potter. It's one of my favorites. I love to hate that Umbridge woman.