Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thirteen Reasons to Love Fall

1139149102_ac9a30c17e_m

Thirteen Reasons to Love Fall

The winner of the last week’s Thursday Thirteen contest , thanks to random.org, is Commenter #21, Alyssa Goodnight. Will you please email me your address at spyscribbler at gmail, and I’ll send you Cherry Addair’s Edge of Fear? Or I’ll eventually remember to email you, LOL.

This week’s book-to-win is Cherry Addair’s Edge of Darkness. To win, just tell me your favorite memory of Fall. As you know, fall does not start in October, but when school goes back in session. Next week!

  1. Big bonfire parties, cooking hot dogs and roasting marshmallows.
  2. The crisp, clean smell of the air in the morning.
  3. The smoky smell of burning leaves on the air in the evening.
  4. The return to a "normal" schedule.
  5. Donning thick sweaters and not having to wear a coat on top.
  6. Cuddling with the man when the nights turn chilly.
  7. The return of good movies to the theaters.
  8. Watching movies at the drive-in, which is mostly deserted in the fall.
  9. Being outside after the mosquitoes die off (or hibernate, or whatever they do in the winter! What do they do in the winter? Fly south, LOL?)
  10. All the fall TV shows start up again!
  11. Decorating the house and lawn for Halloween.
  12. Halloween.
  13. Decorating the house and lawn for Christmas as soon as Halloween is over.


Join in the Thursday Thirteen fun!

37 bonus scribbles:

Angela/SciFiChick 8/16/2007 02:20:00 PM  

My favorite memories of fall are Harvest Parties with the corn mazes and hay rides.. lots of fun!

Amy 8/16/2007 02:31:00 PM  

I love all the apples! Apple cider, applesauce, apple pie, apple picking...love it!

Vicki 8/16/2007 02:40:00 PM  

My favorite memory of fall is seeing the leaves change up in the mountains.

Nancy J. Bond 8/16/2007 02:43:00 PM  

My favorite memory of fall is my two daughters' first days of school -- watching them take those first, hesitant steps toward independence...all shiny in new clothes and shoes...toting the backpacks they'd packed and unpacked at least a dozen times...the smell of new Crayons...the rumble of the school bus. ::sniff, sniff:: Seems like an eternity ago. Great idea for a TT -- your list is wonderful. :)

Susan Helene Gottfried 8/16/2007 03:10:00 PM  

Lots of autumn memories, but I was talking earlier about this really hot picture I took of the Tour Manager when #2 was an infant -- like a month old. He's holding her in the crook of his arm and it's just a really HOT picture of him.

One of my favorites, definitely.

Kuanyin 8/16/2007 03:19:00 PM  

My favorite memory of fall is the smell of fireplaces being lit again. Since I was born in the fall, naturally this season has an extreme appeal! :-) Come to my TT and enter my contest too!

StarvingWriteNow 8/16/2007 03:40:00 PM  

I just love fall, period. All of it.

Speaking of fall, are you going to the fall retreat?

colleen 8/16/2007 03:44:00 PM  

Harvest pumpkins from my garden. Taking photos of the Parkway foliage.

George Carlin is a comedy from the 60's generation.

Karina 8/16/2007 03:47:00 PM  

What does happen to the mosquitos? Now I'm curious!!

My favorite fall memories are of driving up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire to see the leaves changing...what a spectacle the trees are!

Thanks for stopping by! Happy TT!!

Alyssa Goodnight 8/16/2007 03:57:00 PM  

I love fall--for all the reasons you listed, except the bonfires--we don't really do bonfires here. Unless you're an Aggie...

Robin 8/16/2007 04:27:00 PM  

Growing up in the US, I would have said Halloween and the fall colors.

Living in Israel, I'd have to say it's putting on a long-sleeved shirt for the first time in 6 months!

Joely Sue Burkhart 8/16/2007 04:27:00 PM  

Fall means football games, and when I was in high school, the quarterback's dad always smoked a pipe. Now the scent of a pipe lingering on the crisp fall night air is one of my favorite memory scents!

Thomma Lyn 8/16/2007 04:43:00 PM  

Ah, Fall is my favorite season, and Fall is beautiful in the Tennessee mountains. And I love the cooling air -- I'm not much of a hot-weather person.

Happy TT, and thanks for visiting mine!

Cat Marsters & Kate Johnson 8/16/2007 04:47:00 PM  

I'm SO with you on this! It's my favourite season. #2 is the best for me--that gorgeous clean air!

Elle Fredrix 8/16/2007 05:17:00 PM  

Fall in my fave season, and here in Ontario we get a spectacular one. I'm really looking forward to fall this year, becuase I can't wait for this heat to break.

Ann 8/16/2007 05:21:00 PM  

Growing up in south Florida, we didn't have fall. Moving to the mountains and seeing the changing seasons, fall is my favorite time of year. The best reason? Turning of the AC.
P.S. Flies die in the fall, for the most part.

Amy Ruttan 8/16/2007 05:29:00 PM  

The reason I love the fall as well. It's my favorite season. Halloween is my favorite time of year.

So Lost 8/16/2007 05:30:00 PM  

Apple cider, a hayride, and crisp leaves underfoot.

L^2 8/16/2007 05:32:00 PM  

Fall is one of my favorite seasons for many of the same reasons you listed, but especially because my birthday usually falls on the first day of Autumn. :-)

Thanks for visiting my TT.

Darla 8/16/2007 05:43:00 PM  

Fall memories? The smell of ground-up apples when we made apple cider. I haven't smelled it in... well, decades, but that smell still says "fall" to me.

Now, of course, I just look forward to the kids going back to school. :)

Liz Wolfe 8/16/2007 06:00:00 PM  

Hands down,it has to be buying school supplies. I was always so anxious to go back to school. And I loved the smell and feel of new pencils and paper and notebooks.

carrie_lofty 8/16/2007 06:03:00 PM  

Fave memory of fall? The first morning of each year when walking to school meant cruching frosty grass.

Anissa 8/16/2007 06:25:00 PM  

I love autumn. Unfortunately I do have to wait until October. It isn't cool at night until Halloween. Then we celebrate!

Ed 8/16/2007 06:39:00 PM  

Great idea and list My favorite memory is the first trip to the shool library after summer vacation.

Ed

Christine d'Abo 8/16/2007 07:22:00 PM  

My favourite memory is the smell in the air once it starts to get cool and the leaves are turning colour. There is something about that smell that makes me feel wonderful.

Rhian / Crowwoman 8/16/2007 07:56:00 PM  

what a neat idea for a contest! i've always loved fall and not just because halloween is my favoritest holiday in the world. The smells in the air, the crunch of leaves underfoot and it finally gets cool enough to start making homemade soups again. Favorite memories are as a kid dressing up for halloween and raking leaves only to jump in them and roll around.

Damozel 8/16/2007 08:18:00 PM  

Your list takes me back many years. Here in Florida, fall is when the air turns deliciously balmy, the sky is blue, the migrating robins fill up the bushes, and outdoors is the only place to be. I can't WAIT.

I haven't enjoyed the more traditional joys of fall for 20 years, but thanks for reminding me.

Shannon 8/16/2007 09:01:00 PM  

I posted the answers to the Rebus puzzle on my TT. :)

julia 8/16/2007 09:17:00 PM  

Fall is my favorite season of all - great TT! A favorite memory is coming home from school, opening the back door and realizing with one whiff that Mom had made molasses cake that afternoon. Spicy dark molasses cake with melty white icing. Mmm.

Lori 8/16/2007 09:31:00 PM  

I soooooooo cant wait for Fall!!!Summer is great for about a week...its just too hot. Happy TT.

Lisa Andel 8/16/2007 09:55:00 PM  

Yeah, Fall is a good season. About the only one I don't really like any more is winter. Though I love Christmas. Your list is perfect.

Gattina 8/16/2007 11:16:00 PM  

I just hate fall ! Fall has always been the worst season for me as I suffered seasonal depression for years and that always came end August/September. Now I still not like fall but take it easy, lol !
Thanks for your comment on Graceland !

Jill 8/17/2007 10:44:00 AM  

If I think of last year, my favorite fall memory, is picking up the leaves with my nieces and little cousins. They had so much fun filling up our big pumkin bag. And I actually took great pictures of it!!
Great list!

Wylie Kinson 8/17/2007 11:03:00 PM  

I ADORE Fall. My fave thing is going to the pumpkin patch with my kids - corn mazes, hay rides, the earthy smell of fallen leaves. I'm practically counting the days until Oct.
Oh - and the homemade pumpkin pie!

OpenChannel 8/18/2007 01:15:00 AM  

FALL?!? I live in Vancouver, BC, so we just started summer last month... ack!

I've always liked Fall, because I always liked school. As an adult I like the feeling of "hunkering down" and approaching new projects and getting work done. That's what I associate Fall with. Halloween is also my favourite holiday.

Joy Renee 8/18/2007 03:04:00 PM  

i loved new pencils and notebooks, first day of school. the leaves changing color as if to celebrate my birthday in November. but my fav is probably the indoor recesses because of rain that let me read!