Monday, August 06, 2007

York Mints and Their Da*n Tin

1028665674_786912ca3d

They taste really awesome, I swear. So great, in fact, that I spent the last forty minutes wrestling with the lid of the tin, trying to get to the candy.

It’s like a York peppermint pattie, except the filling is just a teensy bit stiffer. It’s coated with chocolate, and then that’s coated with a white candy shell.

Very yummy!

It is not, however, a breath mint. It will not freshen your breath, and it certainly won’t deal with any more serious breath problems. Worse, as good as they taste, they’re practically impossible to open.

Screwdriver didn’t work. The scissor blade didn’t work. My hands didn’t work, and I crunched two fingernails.

A nail file--if pointed in just the right way, then finagled in just the right way--will open it, within a very reasonable ten or fifteen minutes.

I just wish they weren’t so damned good. They’re a damned inconvenience, that’s for sure! Have you tried them? And what lengths will you go to for chocolate?

4 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 8/06/2007 04:52:00 PM  

I didn't have that problem opening them--though I have these long, Freddy Kruger fingers, so maybe that makes a difference.

But I love 'em!

Have you tried dark chocolate dipped altoids yet? They're GOOD!

Anissa 8/06/2007 05:50:00 PM  

Wow, talk about making you work for your candy. That's just wrong!

They do sound yummy, must try some soon. :)

As for your question...well, it's more like what wouldn't I do for chocolate? ;)

spyscribbler 8/06/2007 06:28:00 PM  

I think it's the tin, starvingwritenow. None has been quite so bad as this one. I have torn it off and sent a few flying around the room, but before this tin, three minutes was the maximum opening time. I did have a tin, once, that opened right away.

Anissa, they are not to be missed! Very yummy. Even better than York Peppermint Patties.

Aimless Writer 8/06/2007 09:05:00 PM  

Are you trying to ruin my diet? I'm gonna have to tell me ww leader on you!
:)
Perhaps after another ten lbs...but if I start on that little tin now I might have it opened by the time I get there!