Sunday, September 16, 2007

Desires. And Writing.

//static.flickr.com/1409/1392620561_fe4fb24425_mMan, I’m watching The Wedding Date. I couldn’t tell you if it’s a good story or not, but characterization of the hero is amazing. Dermot Mulroney has me all hot and bothered.

Even before I wanted to be a writer, before I was writing, when it was just this thing in the back of my mind just waiting for me to consider it, I read a short story by Robert Heinlein, evidently written when he boasted he could write a story to please any reader and he was challenged to write a story for girls.

The story worked, at least for this girl.

There was a lesson in that. If you understand the hopes, dreams, desires, and fears of your readers, then you’ve got a story that will work for the reader.

Sometimes, your readers are very much like yourself. That makes it easier. Sometimes, they’re not. That makes it harder.

Anyways, The Wedding Date? Someone understands this girl’s heart. Man. I could watch this movie over and over and over and over. The only other fictional character who can give me this kind of fever is Stephanie Plum’s Ranger.

8 bonus scribbles:

Karen Olson 9/16/2007 04:36:00 PM  

This movie is one of those that was on over and over again so much that I thought it had its own channel. And every time I hit on it, I would watch it, from whatever part it was on at the time. I'm finding that now this one's off and Must Love Dogs is constantly on at some point of each day. And that one also has the same guy in it, but also John Cusack, which makes it doubly great.

spyscribbler 9/16/2007 05:08:00 PM  

Karen, I want to see that. Man, I could watch Wedding Date over and over and over. I'm in one of those moods, where that's exactly what I want to do!

Erica Orloff 9/16/2007 05:25:00 PM  

Hi Spy:
I haven't seen this movie. In general, I don't watch romantic comedies (I am too impatient for people to work out their differences and simply get together). But I loved LOVE ACTUALLY, with all its intersecting love stories. I'll watch that over and over and over.

spyscribbler 9/16/2007 09:40:00 PM  

Oh, it's wonderful, Erica! I'm not much for romantic comedies, either. Maybe give it a shot, because the characterization of the hero is just amazing.

I do love Love Actually, too! That was really cool, how they did that.

Erica Orloff 9/17/2007 06:56:00 AM  

OK. I'll put it in my queue. Thanks for the recommendation--and it gives me something to think about writing-wise when watching the movie!
E

Edie 9/17/2007 10:02:00 AM  

I love LOVE ACTUALLY too. We own it, and it's my favorite feel good movie. And I'll see something each time that I missed before. The director of LA is a genius!

I wasn't as crazy as The Wedding Date. I can remember thinking it was okay. I'll watch it again.

I saw The Brave One this last Friday, and that's awesome.

spyscribbler 9/17/2007 01:06:00 PM  

Cool, Erica! I watched it three times yesterday. I love the way character is shown in this movie through the little things they do, rather than just ... the actors acting, you know?

I want to see The Brave One, Edie! You guys are also making me nostalgic for Love Actually. Must watch that again.

Kate S 9/18/2007 10:48:00 AM  

Oh, Durmot Mulroney gets me all hot and bothered just by BEING. ;)

I've wanted to see that movie, but every time I start to get it, my daughter tells me it wasn't any good. Honestly, I don't know why I listened to her. I'll head on over to the library in a few minutes and pick it up now. :)

Love Actually is also one of my all-time favorite movies.