Sunday, September 30, 2007

Fall Lineup

Not that I have time for TV, but I tried one new show this year: Chuck. The ninja girl is COOL, but the premise is a little weak.

To explain quickly, regular-nerd Chuck had a super-smart roommate in college. Super-smart roommate went on to become a kick-ass, ninja-warrior, leap off of tall buildings in a single bound sort of guy. (No kidding. You actually get to see him leap off of tall buildings from the fifth floor and land on his feet. OKAY, it was the second floor. But COME ON!)

Before super-spy-roommate got shot, he sent an email to Chuck containing all the images a super-duper CIA/NSA computer had compiled.

Chuck watched them for twelve hours straight in fast motion, and now they are all stored in his head for perfect recall whenever an emergency happens.

I think they should have some reason that Chuck recalls the images he watched for twelve hours straight. It’s not like that’s possible, unless he’s pretty damn smart with a photographic memory. They’re portraying him to be a bit of a dopey normal guy, but ... if he were, he wouldn’t be able to recall all those images.

Okay, it’s spoof-y. It doesn’t really bother me. It’s just that between 24 and Chuck there are no spy shows on TV that bother to suspend your disbelief. It’s like they don’t care anymore. They expect the watcher to blindly accept it as is, to make those leaps without explanation.

Or is this a new trend I missed? Sheesh.

I have been watching M-15. Yikes. Is it M-16? 14? Oh, for crying out loud.

I MISS ALIAS, DAMNIT!

So how’s the fall shaping up for you?

8 bonus scribbles:

Liz Wolfe 9/30/2007 04:33:00 PM  

I miss Alias, too!!!
Did you watch Burn Notice? My Fall regular shows are Criminal Minds, Bones, The Unit, House.
I think that's all. In other seasons I watch The Closer, Monk (sometimes), Kyle XY, and, of course, 24. We just finished watching Season 5. Season 6 comes out in early December so I should just have time to watch it before Season 7 starts.
Looking at my favorite shows, I guess I like mysteries and crime...LOL

spyscribbler 9/30/2007 05:14:00 PM  

You know, I keep meaning to try Burn Notice, but I keep forgetting, LOL. I just taped one episode of the House, because I want to test that out, too.

I just love The Unit. I haven't watched the first episode of this season yet, but the last episode of last season was one heck of a cliffhanger! What did you think of the season opener? (I'll be watching it tonight. :-) )

What's Kyle XY about?

Liz Wolfe 9/30/2007 07:45:00 PM  

The Unit always keeps the tension high. Probably why I like it so much. Kyle XY is about a high school boy who was bred in a laboratory and arrives as a 16 or 17 year old fresh from the incubator. I guess it's a YA. Lots about the angst of being a teenager, but also a good suspense story.

StarvingWriteNow 10/01/2007 07:37:00 AM  

It's shaping up great! I stay away from reality TV and I feel just fine!!

I think the only network TV I watch(ed) with any regularity was Bones and CSI: NY because they had hotties in them and were good. But I haven't even looked at them in a while. There's all those books out there, you know.

I think I'll go read something...

Erica Orloff 10/01/2007 09:46:00 AM  

Hmmm . . . . Don't hate me. I like Chuck. I also adore Reaper. They both have the exact same humor sensibility.

:-)

Thant's it for me this year. No other shows. Life is too crazy.

Edie 10/01/2007 12:08:00 PM  

I have one word: Heroes. I love it!

I saw Chuck, enjoyed it, but like you I wondered about the photographic memory thing. I might watch it once in a while, but if I have a good book, I'll read that instead.

And I still like Boston Legal and Desperate Housewives.

spyscribbler 10/01/2007 10:29:00 PM  

Wow, Liz, that's a cool premise. I still haven't watched The Unit, but I want to tonight!

LOL, WriteNow, I never did get the reality craze. Okay ... I did watch just ONE show ... American Princess. I'm not sure why, except I always wanted to be a princess. :-) (totally embarrassed, here.)

spyscribbler 10/01/2007 10:38:00 PM  

Erica, I'm not really sure if I'll like Chuck. Most of the humor just doesn't make me laugh, although the beginning leap-off-of-high-buildings thing cracked me up! I'm more of a drama person, but ... as long as they don't get too spoofy, then I think I'll enjoy it. Especially if Ninja girl keeps at it. :-)

Edie, Heroes is another one I keep meaning to try. So many shows, so little time!

Like you, I'm still unsure about Chuck. I used to LOVE Boston Legal. I don't know how it fell off my radar, especially since that new guy joined. New, as in three or so years ago. The guy who was in that kinky movie?