Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Final Stretch.

Tomorrow. The day I finish my latest WIP. I can’t wait. I’m not sure this is taking the turn my editor hoped for, but who knows. I hope the little Angel on my shoulder will approve. No, I hope the real Angels out there will find it ... what’s the word? Fulfilling? Special? Satisfying?

I wrote the black moment tonight, that lowest point in the story when all seems lost. Tomorrow, I’ll start at the beginning and make sure that everything heads in that direction believably, and that I didn’t miss any stray strands or leave out any foreshadowing opportunities. Or that I didn’t foreshadow a twist that I ended up not taking.

My timeline is a little crooked, and I need to insert more time passing in order to let the climax and the ending have believable roots. I need to flesh out a few scenes, color in between the lines.

Now I get to write the happy ending. I just love this dark hero and I can’t wait to let him have what he so desires, but cannot pursue. My heroine has no hope, but out of no hope, I get to give her things she hardly dared dream of. I can’t wait for that, either.

And, I discovered that I have some symbolism! I didn’t mean to, and I was bummed because I really wanted to experiment with it. I just need to make sure it always means what it seems to mean. Is that right? Maybe I’ll trip across another symbol, who knows. I don’t usually think of symbolism, so maybe Erica’s daughter and Erica are both right. :-)

But it’s always better to be aware of what you do, why you do it, how you do it, and the effect it has.

I’m not sure what this post is except a to-do list for tomorrow, LOL, but ... here it is. That "must write better" voice in my head has been particularly fierce during the writing of this story, and I’ve really pushed myself.

The one problem with improving, however, is that your past failings seem all the more glaring, all the more evident, all the more cringe-worthy.

Saturday will be a new story, a new list of skills to work on. I’ve noticed that my favorite writers don’t describe things with description, but describe things with a story. Telling a story with stories. I don’t play with that enough. I have enough trouble with one story, let alone a whole story’s worth of stories. And I want to work on my close shots, and my details.

So what are you driving at improving with your current WIP? Or do you not think of that until revisions, or ... gosh, I don’t know how other people write, LOL. :-)

9 bonus scribbles:

Michelle,  9/14/2007 03:35:00 AM  

I am continually trying to write better, which means I continually hate what I've done previously. It is very annoying.

And I do include symbolism, but a lot of times is unconscious, and when I go back and see it I'm always surprised. And then I try to make sure I've kept it coherent throughout.

Good luck with the last day of writing a WIP. Lovely feeling!

Erica Orloff 9/14/2007 05:35:00 AM  

LOL!!!!!!!! Spy . . . this made me laugh.

And congrats on the black moment, writing close to the end, AND on the symbolism. :-)

Peace,
E

Wendy Roberts 9/14/2007 11:20:00 AM  

Good luck finishing your latest WIP! Isn't it a great feeling!

spyscribbler 9/14/2007 12:51:00 PM  

Michelle, I know that hatred. Boy, do I know that hatred.

Erica, thanks! Now I'm not sure it's going to be my last day, because I've got to insert more than I want to, push the black moment up. But I'm still loving it!

Thanks, Wendy! No matter how many times I've finished a story before, I'm never quite certain I'm going to make it to the end until I do.

Edie 9/14/2007 01:23:00 PM  

Spy, congrats on reaching the black moment! Michael Hauge said it's better to know your symbolism later, otherwise you're likely to be heavyhanded.

I'm always trying to write better too. That's my goal. To write every book better than the previous. I don't hate what I've written before, I just think my wip is a jump up. :)

spyscribbler 9/14/2007 10:56:00 PM  

Edie, you know, I really adore the way you always see the silver lining. Really. :-)

Michael Hauge is feeling vaguely familiar but I can't put my finger on it. I'm going to look him up tomorrow!

Bernita 9/15/2007 05:00:00 AM  

"Must write better"...damn voice never shuts up...

Edie 9/15/2007 03:03:00 PM  

Spy, Michael Hauge was at Dallas. His last talk was so filled, there wasn't even standing room only space left. If you're getting the CD's, his workshops will be on it. His workshop was on last year's too.

spyscribbler 9/15/2007 11:01:00 PM  

Oh! Edie! I was there! I LOVED his workshop! He's fantastic!

Hah! I knew he sounded familiar. He's the Hollywood guy, right?