Monday, September 03, 2007

Holy shit!

I started reading one of those novels whose first chapter is so good, so original, that my heart did that fluttery thing and I thought holy shit! Think The Da Vinci Code but with writing so beautiful it makes you want to weep, writing so vivid and evocative it makes a straight thriller feel erotic, and storytelling so graceful the world around you just disappears.

MJ Rose’s voice is beautiful. The Reincarnationist reads like one of those movies with gorgeous cinematography, setting, costumes, everything. Like the ones to which words such as epic and grand and expansive are applied.

And I’ve only read the first chapter.

I suppose you might think that means to take my raving with a grain of salt, but I’ve read enough books of hers to know that this is something really special.

Next time you’re at the bookstore, just read the first few pages. You’ll see what I mean. Better yet, check out this excerpt on her site. If you do that, I really needn’t say a thing.

8 bonus scribbles:

Susan Helene Gottfried 9/04/2007 07:56:00 AM  

She's going to be in town later this month and I'm trying to figure out how to clone myself so I can be there. And on the soccer field or home for Spanish tutoring.

Aargh.

Bernita 9/04/2007 08:30:00 AM  

Oh Gessus...that sort of writing just makes one want to give up and die.

spyscribbler 9/04/2007 09:08:00 AM  

That close, Susan? I was thinking of how to get there, too!

Bernita, I swear to God. I've been trying to figure out who to focus on for the next few months, real name or pseudonym. After reading that, my first thought was pseudonym, because boy, do I need the practice.

You were actually the first person I thought of after I read the first chapter. Your writing has always reminded me of hers, as does Nevada Barr's.

Danika / OpenChannel 9/04/2007 03:11:00 PM  

I've heard great things about this book. I've never read any of her other work. Guess I'll have to put it on my list with a rave like this!

I love having that kind of response to literature. Isn't it what we always want?

Kate S 9/04/2007 03:57:00 PM  

I just read "Poison Study" by Maria V. Snyder a few days ago and felt the same way. I'll have to check this out. Isn't that a killer cover too? Some people have all the luck. :)

spyscribbler 9/04/2007 07:50:00 PM  

Kate, that feels really familiar. Like I've read something else by her, or like it's sitting in my TBR pile, LOL. I'll have to check it out.

Oh, danika, she has that special ability to make words sound pretty. (Bernita hates that word, but she has that gift, too.) If you're into poetry, you'll love her prose.

Bernita 9/05/2007 08:22:00 AM  

Aw, Girl, no need to perjure yourself...

Edie 9/05/2007 08:49:00 AM  

Thanks for the link to the excerpt. Absolutely fabulous. Liz had reviewed it at Magical Musings, and she loved it. I'll have to get this book.