Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Brain Is Full.

My brain writes things "ahead of time." So, when I’m writing current WIP, my mind wanders ahead and fleshing the next WIP. It’s easier that way. Then when I sit down, the world and characters have already "stewed" and it’s mostly written in my head, just gotta write it down.

But I’m a bit on overload.

I’m re-writing the ending of the WIP that was bothering me, remember? And then I’m writing two short stories, another long novella, considering another sequel after that, trying to keep my mind open for a "real-name" novel, AND come up with an idea for a non-fiction essay.

Not to mention several life-planning issues that call for my thinking time, and my students (you have no idea how much worry-time they take up!), organizing and being creative about planning the studio year, and dealing with the piddly stuff.

For two days, I spent a whole hour playing a computer game. I think I just needed to zone out.

Does your brain ever get messy and cluttery and disorganized?

10 bonus scribbles:

Aimless Writer 9/25/2007 08:53:00 PM  

Lol! my brain was born messy & disorganized! I think most writers are always thinking so they skip from idea to idea. When people get boring my mind has to have something to occupy those moments between the interesting stuff...so I think of things...
In high school they used to call me "remote" because I changed topics so fast.

Erica Ridley 9/25/2007 10:45:00 PM  

OMG. Is my brain ever *not* messy and cluttery? LOL. I'm out of control. And glad to hear I'm not the only one who's always too many steps ahead! =)

Erica Orloff 9/26/2007 05:17:00 AM  

I'm with the other Erica. When is it NOT that way? I have four wips (two under contract, two at proposal stage)--two of the wips are parts of trilogies--so that's SIX books under contract to be planning and thinking. Four kids--one applying to conservatories, so that's organizing flying her all over the country for auditions--one kid in Ninjitsu training, one a drummer . . . homework. A household to run. A father who is blind. Ummm . . . brain? Organized? I don't think so. I feel like the kid with her finger in the proverbial dam.
E

Bernita 9/26/2007 08:05:00 AM  

Disorganized?
Frequently.
That's when I'm reduced to making lists.

Edie 9/26/2007 09:16:00 AM  

My brain is as messy as my desk. That's pretty messy, although I do see a few spots of wood.

avery 9/26/2007 05:40:00 PM  

I'm pretty good with the compartmentalizing. The problem with that, though, is I can do only one thing at a time. No multiple projects for me. I tried once and it was a big 'ol train wreck.

Therese 9/26/2007 08:47:00 PM  

Hmm, looks like a majority, here. Count me in as one who often feels mentally cluttered. Writing works to focus and organize me, go figure.

StarvingWriteNow 9/27/2007 08:49:00 AM  

I'm like Michael Palin in that Monty Python skit: "MY BRAIN HURTS!!"

spyscribbler 9/28/2007 03:59:00 AM  

Aimless, how cute! I had the same problem in high school, but they didn't call me "remote," they called me "airhead." :-)

Erica R, so good to hear I'm not alone. Isn't it overwhelming?

Ohmigosh, Erica (Orloff), I can't imagine how you do it. At all. Sheesh. Wow. I so need to stop whining, LOL!

Bernita, lists! Yes! Where would I be without lists? They are a godsend.

spyscribbler 9/28/2007 04:02:00 AM  

LOL, Edie, I have a really messy desk, too! What do they say? If a cluttered desk is a cluttered mind, then what is an empty desk?

Avery, that sounds much smarter. I can compartmentalize, but sometimes I have trouble unlocking the compartments. Or not letting them spill over into other compartments, LOL.

Therese! Good to see you! :-) That makes sense. I don't feel organized until it's all out on paper, but it is such a relief.

Starving, that's the feeling exactly! I love it!