Monday, September 10, 2007

One of those days ...

Back to writing, but not feeling the best, yet. I guess I’m gonna have to go to the doctor and pay a hundred bucks for him to look at me for one minute and write a prescription for antibiotics. I can usually fight it off without them, but I need to get back to work. Can you tell I’m not crazy about doctors? In my experience, they charge a lot of money, but they don’t fix anything. And god forbid they actually admit they can’t fix something. No, they just keep--|| *insert stop to rant*

I had one of those days where I’m just filling in words from snatches already written. And I’m at that stage of the WIP where I’m feeling like it all just sucks, LOL. And it can only be 10 - 12 chapters. I’m on Chapter 7, and I’m just at the first turning point.

Hopefully I’ve got a turning point back somewhere that happened instinctually, and this can be the midpoint. Actually, I think it will make my ending richer and stronger. My plotting of the ending was a bit weak.

But I want to play more with details and symbols, but they just aren’t coming today. I should stop thinking about them, then they’ll magically appear, LOL.

It’s funny how, when I start a story, I’m always afraid I won’t have enough story. It always ends up that I have too much. When am I going to trust myself?

So how’s your writing going? Good day? Bad day? Regular day? Where are you in the WIP? And what part of a story is your favorite to write?

10 bonus scribbles:

Susan Helene Gottfried 9/10/2007 09:19:00 PM  

As much as I really want to, I haven't written anything yet today. It was just a busy, busy day full of kids.

However, they are in bed and I'm going to sit and edit off-screen for awhile, as I've got a migraine, thanks to that dad who was forcing his daughter into a ballet class she wanted no part of.

Edie 9/10/2007 10:24:00 PM  

I have a migraine today, so I'm not writing much either, although I did write 5 pages. I'm going to try to write a couple more right now.

I could rant along with you about doctors and hospitals and health insurance. I missed seeing the movie SICKO, but I hope it will be out on DVD soon. Our health care system isn't working and needs to be fixed.

spyscribbler 9/10/2007 10:42:00 PM  

Wow, you both have migraines! Those are awful. You have my sympathies!

Susan, I can imagine. Yikes. That would give one a migraine!

Edie, AMEN! We're talking a major overhaul, from the schools, the AMA, the lobbying, the pharmaceutical companies who have too much power, the doctors, the hospitals, and definitely the health insurance issue!

Liz Wolfe 9/11/2007 12:02:00 AM  

Susan and Edie, bless you. I'm in my 11th month of no migraines. And I've probably ensured I'll get one by saying that. Excuse me while I do a little mental erasing.
I agree that our health care system sucks. Too much to go into detail.
Spy, I'm so envious of you having too much story. I never have enough. I have to work and sweat and cry and bang my head on the desk to come up with enough story. Hours/days/weeks of playing What If and What's The Worst Thing That Could Happen Now. But all in all the day was a pretty good one for writing.

spyscribbler 9/11/2007 12:08:00 AM  

Oh, good, Liz! Someone should have a good writing day! I bet you come up with more original ideas, that way.

I'll knock on wood for you, about the migraines!

Erica Orloff 9/11/2007 07:30:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
My writing day sucked. Thanks for asking. LOL! I had all "kid-related" phone calls--endless phone calls--to make. Plus first day or pre-school for one, which was just "meet the teacher," meaning I had to stay there with him. And basically, the day got sucked into a sucking vortex of time.

As for doctors, don't even get me started. That's why I only do Traditional Chinese Medicine now--and have defied EVERY prediction. Western doctors have declared me dead--literally, I was in the ER and heard--from somewhere else--that I wouldn't make it. They told my parents to plan my funeral. So, frankly, they can go to h*ll. I went on to have three more kids with my diagnosis, and though they were all risky pregnancies and difficult, I am a walking miracle and plan to keep it that way. :-) And, frankly, all four of my kids are pretty miraculous, healthy wonderful, time-consuming (LOL!) people.
E

Bernita 9/11/2007 08:14:00 AM  

My day was going great, until a "beta" reader wanted more backstory.
I was feeling smug and confident about a piece until then. I don't like backstory.
I like to write beginnings - so much potential, so much room for discovery.

Edie 9/11/2007 08:30:00 AM  

Erica, your story is inspiring. It would be great if insurance would pay for alternative methods.

Erica Orloff 9/11/2007 10:02:00 AM  

edie:
I'm not holding my breath--LOL. I use acupuncture, too. None of it is covered, but to me, my wellness is worth the money.
E

spyscribbler 9/11/2007 04:00:00 PM  

Oh, Erica, you are so right! There is so much healing knowledge out there that the AMA leads us to believe doesn't exist. It's there way or no way, and it's a terrible mindset. I'm so glad you found Chinese Medicine!

I have a brilliant stepbrother, literally a genius. He's been studying and going to school and practicing for more than twenty years, nonstop. (Naturopathy, herbal stuff, massotherapy, applied kiniesiology ... the list goes on and on, but I kinda forget all he does) I'd go to him more often, but I spent all my money on a sick cat, LOL. Must write faster, damnit.

But "regular" medicine seems to tell you that if they can't fix it, no one can. Drives me crazy!

(Sorry for the rant.)

Edie, there's Alternative Health Insurance, but I haven't looked into them lately, so I'm not sure what's up at the moment. But they do cover many alternative treatments like acupuncture and stuff.

Bernita, that's why I only let DH read my stuff as I'm writing. He's been trained to only encourage, and only stop me if I'm really, really, really on a wrong path.

I'm too impressionable. I would take what I'm told at face value and change it, and risk losing my story in the process. I am very cool with editors, but until it's done, I can't show anyone but DH.