Monday, September 17, 2007

Post Writer's Block?

Okay, usually I finish something, send it off. No biggie. No thought process. The conversation in the car with DH has given me all sorts of fears, and I’m freaking out.

It’s finished. It’s mostly revised. It just needs a tweaking and a re-read.

But I’ve been procrastinating it for two days now. And I’m running out of time to do it today! Grrrrrrrr. And the laundry needs done. And I just need to send the darn thing off.

DH has failed in his duty this time, and I’m frozen.

I am terrified it sucks. I know that once I send it off, it will be out of mind. But here it sits, waiting for me to just sit down and read it and reassure myself it’s not the most terrible thing ever written. It’s hard to believe that a few days ago I was telling myself I’d written this better than anything I’d written before. Hah!

This is just silly. I’ve never had writer’s block after I finished a story.

And I’m off my rhythm. DH went away for work today, and I had to drop him off at 5:30. So I came home and went to bed instead of going to Borders. (After I wrote a thousand word start on a story that wrote itself in my head on the drive. Loving it.)

Must read it now. Must send it off tonight. We are way beyond needing the money.

Ever have postpartum writer’s block? Any tips beyond just suck it up and get it done?

11 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 9/17/2007 02:55:00 PM  

Someday, when I actually finish a book, and if I have it, I'll let you know!

I suppose "suck it up" is the best advice. Or you could do shots.

spyscribbler 9/17/2007 03:35:00 PM  

Oh, YES! Sucking it up is much more fun with alcohol. Or, hey, I can suck up the alcohol instead!

Erica Orloff 9/17/2007 04:02:00 PM  

Hi Spy:
Sometimes I get that way when I KNOW deep down something is wrong and I am fearful of re-reading because THEN it means I have to DO something about whatever isn't working. It's an avoidance thing--and for me, just admitting it to myself helps and then I just do it, figuring the longer I delay, the less time I have to fix it. Of course, that may not be what's going on here . . . so I could simply be full of cr*p. :-)
E

Ello 9/17/2007 05:41:00 PM  

I find that it all reads much better after a bottle of wine...

Out of curiosity, do you have a list of readers for your manuscripts or just hubby? I have a friend who won't let anyone read her work. NO ONE. I have other friends who send it all out to anyone with a pulse. Interesting to see what others do.

By the way, I love the picture of your cat on the boat!

spyscribbler 9/17/2007 06:46:00 PM  

LOL, Erica. I think I fixed the stuff, but I don't want to re-read it because I'm afraid I didn't. So, yep, that's totally me.

Ello, I just might try that wine! Heck, to be honest, somedays, I don't think I'd show my stuff to anyone if I didn't need the money.

No one reads my stuff until it's done and my editor does. Ever. Except DH, who does usually tell me exactly what I need to know. I'm terribly insecure until I've polished and gone through the whole thing. And even then I pretty much close my eyes until it's published. And after that, I just don't think about it.

What about you? (Thanks, re: my cat. Isn't he just the cutest?)

Susan Helene Gottfried 9/17/2007 08:57:00 PM  

Spy, you are simply too good a writer to let yourself be stopped by fear. So WHAT if you get a rejection? You've had them before. You know you'll survive.

Maybe what you need is the distance so that you can see the problem your gut is telling you is there.

Hang in there. It's all about the fear. You can either send it out as is or stare down the fear. Either one's not a bad choice, you know; there's much to be learned from both options.

Edie 9/17/2007 11:02:00 PM  

Spy, if you're comfortable with your editor seeing your book, send it. Or else let it sit a few days and read it then.

How awesome that you wrote 1000 words today. I'd be thrilled about that.

spyscribbler 9/17/2007 11:40:00 PM  

Susan, it's something. I've never quite had this reaction to a story, before. I couldn't tell you what's going on in my mind.

I sent it just now, Edie! I didn't even tweak all that much. Who knows.

Bernita 9/18/2007 09:42:00 AM  

"Post-partum writer's block"
What a great description.

Ello 9/18/2007 10:24:00 AM  

I have a writer's group and my hubby finally finished his edits, Thank goodness! I need readers to tell me what works or doesn't work because it is hard to see when you are so close to it. HOnestly, I am so thick skinned that even the harshest critiques usually won't daunt me. Although one particularly harsh one did give me pause for all of ten minutes. But those ten minutes really sucked!

spyscribbler 9/19/2007 03:40:00 PM  

Thanks, Bernita, LOL!

Ello, wow! You do have thick skin! Honestly, I can't say that I've ever been tested like that. I've had readers write and point out my story's faults, but ... I don't know. Once someone tells me something, whether it's positive or negative, I'm fine. It's the waiting that drives me crazy.