Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Reading by Osmosis

I don’t have time to finish reading anything, lately. Before DH came home, I was sleeping with a pile of four books that I desperately wanted (still want) to read. I’d read a page or two, but after a fifteen hour day, no story could keep me up.

DH took all the books that I’d stuffed on his side of the bed and in his nightstand and shoved them on my shelves, so the other night I desperately wanted one. It took me an hour to find it, and then I suddenly had to read John le Carre. (His books and I have a bizarre relationship. I would say I don’t like his writing style or the way he tells a story, but obviously I very much do because I can’t put him down. Unless it’s the first seven chapters of one of his slow-starters. Still, his writing somehow irritates me, rides some weird nerve I have. It’s just ... crazy. But I respect that he can make me crazy, LOL.)

And every day I go to Borders, I grab a copy of The Reincarnationist. I want to read it, but it just sits there keeping me company, because I’m behind on my writing. I touch it. I open it and read a page. Or I just stare at the cover, wishing I could write as well.

But The Reincarnationist appears to be flying off the shelves, if my local Borders is any indication. It came out, what, a week ago? They had a big stack on the front table, but within a couple days they only had one left. They found (ordered?) two more, so there were three on the shelves. Now there’s one.

So I’m trying to imagine how I could get them to order more. "Um, no, I can’t buy one until October, maybe November. Maybe not until December, but, um, yes, I think you should order more. No, not for me, just a bunch for your shelves. See, look, you had eight or ten or twelve last week, and in one week you’ve sold all but one. Don’t you think you need more to fill the empty spots on the shelf? This is the next DaVinci Code ... you’re gonna want people to see it on the shelves, because they’re gonna buy it once they pick it up and look at it."

They’d look at me like I had two heads. Me, a customer, trying to tell them how to run their business. Right?

Maybe I’ll just carry it over around the reference desk, say hi, and get to talking. Then casually insert into the conversation, "Wow, this has just flown off the shelves since last week, hasn’t it? There’s only one left! Have you heard? I hear it’s going to be the next DaVinci Code, but much better. It’s too bad it sold so quickly that it was only on the front table for a day or two. People would love to discover this book!"

Um, but, another problem is that I’ve all but lost my voice. So it would come out in weird squeaks with syllables missing, LOL.

It seems books are my security blankets, lately. Without the time to read them, I’m carrying them around everywhere, holding them, piling them up, and even sleeping with them. The only thing I’m not doing is finishing them.

Do you ever go through weird periods like this? What are you reading, now? Or, if you’re having a phase like me, what book (books?) do you wish you had time to read right now?

8 bonus scribbles:

Karen Olson 9/11/2007 06:48:00 PM  

I just re-read Alice Hoffman's TURTLE MOON, by far one of the best books I've ever read. It's a comfort read for me; I pull it out every couple of years and savor the language. It's her best book, in my opinion.

Of course I'm trying to write, too, so reading is a luxury at the moment. (I did get a lovely free book in the mail the other day: Cherry Adair's EDGE OF DANGER...THANKS!! and will make time to discover that new-to-me author.)

Anissa 9/11/2007 06:59:00 PM  

Oh! I must get a copy of The Reincarnationist soon. Can't wait to read it.

I'm currently reading Stephenie Meyer's Eclipse. Trying to go slow and enjoy.

Unfortunately I haven't written in a couple weeks. Things got crazy and then it slips away. After vacation I'll hit it hard again and then the reading will dwindle.

Liz Wolfe 9/11/2007 11:52:00 PM  

Strangely enough I'm re-reading the first book I had published. No, it's not an ego thing...LOL. I've been writing the proposal for the 4th book in this series. The series has 3 women and the 4th book centers around the woman that was the main character in the first book. I wanted to read the book to be sure I was using the same character voice for her that I'd used before.
I was reluctant to read it. By the time it was ready to go to print, I'd read the damn book so often I was sick of it. And then it ended up on the fast track with my publisher so I began the editing process in December or January and it hit the shelves in May. When I got my author copies, I opened one and read the first page and thought "What crap!"
I haven't been able to look at it since. But reading it now, I'm thinking that I might not be that awful a writer. Unless that was the wine talking.

spyscribbler 9/12/2007 12:04:00 AM  

I love comfort reads, Karen! I haven't read Alice Hoffman, but it sounds like I need to add her to my list. (I hope you like the book!)

Anissa, The Reincarnationist is awesome. I find it depressing, though, because she is SUCH a good writer. Man, I gotta go practice some more.

I keep looking at the Eclipse, wondering what all the hype is about. Maybe I'll have to open it and discover!

Oh, Liz, isn't that such a strange, surreal feeling? I always feel like someone else wrote it. When I finish a story, I'm always certain it's terrible and am, like you, totally sick of it. After a year passes by, I'm surprised that I can read it without putting it down out of boredom.

Bernita 9/12/2007 06:31:00 AM  

So, I'm not the only one who sleeps with books.
Reading ( and re-rerading) "Did You Say Chicks?!" right now and laughing myself sick.

Susan Helene Gottfried 9/12/2007 07:46:00 AM  

Sounds like they are ordering on the system we used at the record store -- you count what you've got, halve it, and add one. That's what you order.

As for books, I'm working on Colleen Gleason's second novel now. I'll be reviewing it for Front Street Reviews, and after that, the new Rebecca Drake!!

Edie 9/12/2007 09:34:00 AM  

I'm reading a nonfiction book, JOURNEY OF SOULS, case studies of life between life. It's fascinating - and very readable. My interest was sparked by the talk about THE REINCARNATIONIST (which I've ordered).

Yesterday, I got a package from Amazon that included Elizabeth Hoyt's THE SERPENT PRINCE. This right after I came home from the library with a bag full of books. I have three TBR stacks on my kitchen counter.

Now, after reading the comments. I'm thinking of adding Alice Hoffman's TURTLE MOON, lol.

avery 9/12/2007 10:32:00 AM  

I'm currently on DAY WATCH by Sergei Lukyanenko. I'm wandering around the house with it. I read a little during lunch, I take it over to the computer to look up one of his many commentaries regarding society in communist Russia, and then it goes back upstairs with me at bedtime.