Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Take Out the Damn Adverbs!

I accidentally re-read something I wrote awhile back.

Found a few phrases that make me cringe, and every single one had an adverb. Worse, every single one was a cliched adverb.

Ugh. What was I thinking?

Sheesh.

Do you ever read your old stuff? Why or why not? (Oopsy, I can’t remember who, but someone asked that question recently. LOL, could’ve even been me!)

(Sorry so short. Tired. Have lots of work to do.) How are things going for you? Writing? Non-writing? Life?

7 bonus scribbles:

Edie 9/25/2007 02:50:00 AM  

I did re-read my old short stories a while go, and I was actually pleased with them. I started to read an old ms., but that one I didn't like. I don't use a lot of adverbs, so that won't be my problem.

Things are going okay for me -- except it's 1:49am and I can't sleep. I'm going to be dragging tomorrow.

Bernita 9/25/2007 07:57:00 AM  

I usually avoid reading my old stuff unless I intend to tart it up.

Erica Orloff 9/25/2007 08:36:00 AM  

Never, ever re-read my old stuff. It usually makes me cringe.

E

StarvingWriteNow 9/25/2007 11:38:00 AM  

Okay, give those poor adverbs a break! They told us sparingly, and it's not their fault we wildly crazily unthinkingly overdid it!

Liz Wolfe 9/25/2007 12:06:00 PM  

I recently started re-reading the first book I had published. I was working on the 4th book in that series and wanted to be sure I was maintaining the same 'voice' for my character. Some parts I was pleased with, others made me want to throw the book away...lol.

Susan Helene Gottfried 9/25/2007 12:40:00 PM  

I had a Eureka moment this morning, so I'm not looking back at the old stuff right now. One of these days, I might. Who knows?

spyscribbler 9/25/2007 08:10:00 PM  

Wonderful, Edie! I hope you sleep better tonight! Sometimes I'm impressed, but not this time. There were only two adverbs, but two's enough when it's just plain lazy writing. Shame on me!

Bernita, wise as always. :-)

Erica, also wise. :-) I'm totally kicking myself!

Starving, I love that phrase, "wildly, crazily, unthinkingly!" Btw, I can't wait until the retreat!

Oh, Liz, I have to re-read when doing sequels, too. There's flow thing, you know?

Susan, you're smart. I don't recommend it. :-) It's painful.