Saturday, September 22, 2007

Talents.

I had a drink with a writing friend tonight. You know, no matter what we’re good at, there’s always that one thing that we think would be so cool to be able to do, but that we know we’ll never be any good at.

She’s good at telling stories. She can go on and on and tell a ton of stories, and it just awes me. First, I don’t think I have that many stories, LOL, and second, I don’t think I could remember that much!

But most of all, she can on-the-spot and orally put them together into something coherent, paced, and interesting. I just find that talent amazing.

I’ve always loved those people who can tell long stories around a campfire. I was just reading about how in Iran, people have pages and pages of poetry memorized as part of their oral storytelling tradition.

It’s definitely a dying art, but I suppose movies and TV are taking its place. So cool, though.

So what’s a talent that you know you will never become skilled at, but that you wish you were good at? That you enjoy watching someone else who’s good at it?

5 bonus scribbles:

Erica Orloff 9/22/2007 08:41:00 AM  

Wish I could sing. I mean, yes, physically, I can sing. But you wouldn't CALL it singing. HORRIBLE sound, like a dying cat. So I really wish I had that talent.

And I can tell hilarious stories, but cannot tell a JOKE to save my life.

Loreth Anne White 9/22/2007 02:30:00 PM  

SING!!! Me, too. I really wish I could sing. I simply can't :-/

Edie 9/22/2007 04:52:00 PM  

Singing here too! Funny that we all say the same thing. I just said on Erica's blog that a lot of writers have an "ear" for dialogue. Maybe we have an ear for singing too, and know how bad we sound. We'll never be one of those awful people on American Idol.

StarvingWriteNow 9/22/2007 07:19:00 PM  

ummm... I can sing... (ducking as she's pummelled with flying objects)

I wish I was better at changing strokes mid-swim--meaning, if this course isn't working, it's time for plan b. I think I want plan a to work so badly that plan b never gets developed and then it all goes to heck.

PS: we're rooming with Eddie at retreat! and a guy! Woot!

Bernita 9/23/2007 06:11:00 AM  

Too numerous to count.