Thursday, September 06, 2007

Will you Haiku?

You know how I love haiku. I don’t know what it is about the form, except that it has no pretension, no ambition, no striving. It just is. And it is nice and short, suitable for my attention span.

So, when I’m feeling emotionally distressed, I haiku. I should add, I haiku badly and often melodramatically, LOL. But it doesn’t matter, because it’s haiku.

Last night, I had a little bit of an asthma attack (a new sort of thing for me, so it still feels a little distressing even though I know it’s no big deal), so I sat on the front porch at three a.m., composing haiku in my head, LOL. Here they are, breaking all the rules, btw.

Breathing, breathing,
In, Out,
in and out.

And then, post-inhaler, LOL:

Airways open
Never panic, never fear.
Breathe. Breathe.

Easy breeze, soothing dark.
Praise the Goddess and the God,
sweet, breaths of life.

And then as I listened to the night (I love the sounds of an Ohio night):

Crickets chirping glaze the night
Major third, minor third, unison.
Perfect harmony.

Will you lend a haiku? They cheer me up. :-)

5 bonus scribbles:

Edie 9/06/2007 06:57:00 PM  

No haiku here. There's a scene I should be writing and I'm procastinating enough. But I love what you have.

I'm glad your isn't a big deal, although I'm sure it's not fun. :(

StarvingWriteNow 9/06/2007 09:36:00 PM  

I can't remember the syllable thingy, but I'll wing it:

Blogging endlessly
No comments
Why do I bother?

Hang on... wait! Okay, how about this?

New kitten came home
Purring furball
Old cats with hissy fits

spyscribbler 9/06/2007 10:06:00 PM  

LOL, Edie. See, that's why I go to Borders to write. No blogs to distract me. :-)

Starving!!!!!!!!!! You got a new kitten???????!!!!!!! Ohmigawd! Are you going to post a picture? I LOVVVVVVVVVEEEEE baby kittens!!!!!!

(Last time I brought a kitten home, it took months for the household to adjust, LOL.)

Erica Orloff 9/07/2007 09:35:00 AM  

spy:
I LOVE the last one. Just this weekend, I was reveling in the cricket sounds and SO happy I moved here.

I can't Haiku, but I CAN admire yours.

Feel better!
E

avery 9/08/2007 02:40:00 AM  

The last Haiku I wrote was in fifth grade when we studied Japan. I think that long-forgotten Haiku still would have been more skilled than any attempt I made now.

Despite the nice work your attack produced, I'm hoping your airways stay open from now on.