Monday, October 15, 2007

Cycles.

My writing seems (sorry guys) intimately attached to my hormonal cycle. Usually it’s okay, except ... there are just some days when my rhythm is way off, when all my sentences end up with a stilted noun-verb sound.

Irritating.

I’m in a rhythm-off phase. Today I’m feeling desperate for my words. Where did they go? I feel so naked.

The upside to the rhythm-off phase is that story actually comes to me in droves. When writing, I’m reduced to taking notes, writing snippets of sentences that will later be reconstructed into prose.

It’s all a fine and good cycle, except when something is done and you’ve got a final chapter that is stilted and awkward. Ugh. One can’t sit around and wait for the next cycle before sending it off, LOL.

So I guess it’s down to manual reconstruction, darnit. I much prefer flow. (Er, no pun intended.)

Do you write in cycles? Does your writing have a rhythm of its own?

When I’m stressed, I haiku. So, in honor of that poetry Monday train thing:

Words, where did you go?
You’re mine, you’re me--I need you.
Words, come back to me.

On a side note, if you’re in RWA, I’m quoted in the latest issue of the Romance Writers Report. Just about the last thing I expected to read when I opened it today, LOL! Good article by Ruth Kaufman!

12 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 10/15/2007 02:50:00 PM  

What did she say? I think I chucked my RWR because I was feeling very anti-writerly. Sigh... I always manage to miss out on the good stuff!

Anyhoo, I totally get what you mean by cycling. My creativity peaks and valleys just like the old hormone express. It's so frustrating.

spyscribbler 10/15/2007 03:30:00 PM  

She just quoted me about quitting the day job. You guys have it heard it before, LOL!

Isn't it frustrating? I'm starting to realize I need to plan my writing output by the time of month! It's insane!

Anissa 10/15/2007 06:21:00 PM  

I seem to get most of my ideas and big urges to write at exactly the time life gets crazy busy. LOL! Isn't that how it goes?

Susan Helene Gottfried 10/15/2007 07:22:00 PM  

I noticed the same thing in grad school. Hard to say if it's still that way -- we're veering into TMI territory.

Stewart Sternberg 10/15/2007 09:00:00 PM  

Yeah, I..um...write according to my cycle,too. Um.. No. No, I don't. Maybe if I wore a thong?

lainey bancroft 10/16/2007 08:54:00 AM  

Look what you've reduced me to. I'm making horrid jokes about my creative well being bled dry! :0

I hadn't made a connection between flow and, well, flow, but my writing definitely comes in cycles. Sorta all or nothing???? Have to take this into consideration.

Oh, and Stewart, thongs are very constricting. Not conducive to flow. Try going commando when you write. :)

avery 10/16/2007 11:01:00 AM  

I write in manic bursts. There may be a pattern in there somewhere, but I haven't taken the time to try and pin it down.

Nice work on the quote. Whenever I get quoted it's usually in an incriminating manner.

Edie 10/16/2007 07:17:00 PM  

I didn't get the Nov. one yet. When I do, I'll look for your quote. :)

I notice I'm more productuve when it's chillier. In summer I slow down.

Stewart Sternberg 10/16/2007 08:38:00 PM  

Lainey..going commando right this moment. You're right. Quite liberating. Ah..vinyl.

spyscribbler 10/17/2007 03:18:00 PM  

Hey! I replied to you guys but it's not here! I hope this is the first time ...

Anissa, that sounds like my luck. Doesn't that just figure?

Susan, I've always had a particular fondness for TMI territory. My friends and DH, on the other hand, don't share my view, LOL.

Hah! Stewart, you crack me up. I've never heard it called going commando before!

Avery, I'm sure that's not true! I believe I've quoted you, and I'm sure it was in flattering terms.

Edie, me too! And I write much better when it's raining, for some bizarre reason.

LOL, Bernita!

Kate S 10/17/2007 10:43:00 PM  

Hey, cool! I'll look for it. I haven't read the latest issue for the same reason as starvingwritenow - just not feeling very writerly at the moment.

Maybe you write better when its raining because of that whole negative ion thing? I'll have to try it. :)