I’ve been tagged several times for this meme (lately by Edie Ramer--thanks!), but I kept forgetting! I think y’all have already done this one, so I won’t tag you. But will you leave a fact or two (or eight?) about you in the comments? If you haven’t done it, give it a go and let me know!
I’ve put off doing this because I’m not all that interesting, (I just teach and write and rinse and repeat), but here’s the best I can do:
- One of my grade-school best friends told me, a few years ago, that I was the most competitive person she’d ever met. This surprised me, since our other best friend is way more competitive than me. In fourth grade, we’d put jalepeno peppers and lemons and limes in our mouth, and see who could hold it the longest. I’m pretty sure she always won.
- I LOVE poker. I’ve only played in two Texas Hold ’Em tournaments. I final tabled in my first one, and next-to-final tabled in my second. I’m really good at reading people and a shark when it comes to betting people into their fear zone. BUT, I’m not a gambler, so I could never play in a cash game. Besides, there’s not as much do-or-die fear in a cash game as there is in a tournament.
- I’m allergic to dairy, but I LOVE the stuff. I love ice cream, hot pudding, milk chocolate, hot chocolate (I make a killer hot chocolate with real freshly-whipped cream that I haven’t been able to drink in YEARS), cheese ... all of it. I can eat a little of it (but I gain weight), but if I go over the little bit, I get sick and hate myself and swear never to touch the stuff again ... until time has faded the memory and I start eyeing the cheese again.
- My favorite restaurant is the Melting Pot, and I get to go once a year on my birthday. Of course, I forgot that eggs make me sick, and ate eggs for breakfast on Friday. So by the time we got to the Melting Pot this weekend, I was so sick I could only watch DH eat my favorite meal in the whole wide world. MAN! Doesn’t it just figure??? I even had to turn down the chocolate!
- I’m afraid of the phone. I used to love my voice because I had the only one like it, but now it just makes people think I’m really young. Drives me nuts. Unless a student has come to me through a direct referral, they don’t sign up for lessons, because they take one listen at my voice and move on. I sound younger than my ten year old students!
- I saw smog for the first time in my life this weekend. Ick. Detroit is icky. I believe Cleveland and Detroit compete for the title of "armpit of America," but in my opinion, Detroit wins hands down. Come on, we don’t have a dirty, gray haze hovering over Cleveland, do we???
- I met DH online. I "saw" him in a chat room and I knew. We barely spoke three words to each other, but I knew I would be spending the rest of my life with him. It wasn’t love at first sight, just a knowledge. We have a lot of different interests, there are over twenty years between our ages, but somehow we’re perfect for each other. I am SO grateful!
- On a completely unrelated note (because I can’t think of a number eight), do you ever write a sentence and then think, "I love that sentence! But damnit, now I can never use it again ..." I almost didn’t use it, because I wanted to save it. Ever feel like that about something you wrote?