Monday, October 15, 2007

The Future of our Children

Last week we fretted about the increase in mass killing attempts by children. We fretted about the dangers of our society and the dangers facing our children.

One of the things I thought last week--after having read a speech of (which?) President get lambasted for declaring that America had lost hope, had lost the vision of a better future for our children--was that he (which he?) was right. I look at history, and I feel like our ancestors progressively made a better world for our children.

Somewhere along the line, things changed. Between the Columbine’s and the 9/11’s, between the whales and global warming, I’m feeling like we are witnessing the birth of a worse world for our children.

Sorry to be depressing, but that’s how I feel.

Please help prove me wrong. Today is Blog Action Day. Will you spread the word? Consider what you can do to help?

And what do you think? Do you think our kids are going to have it better or worse than us? Or, do you think our kids have it better or worse now?

9 bonus scribbles:

eredux 10/15/2007 03:01:00 AM  

Check out this US Carbon Footprint Map, an interactive United States Carbon Footprint Map, illustrating Greenest States to Cities. This site has all sorts of stats on individual State & City energy consumptions, demographics and much more down to your local US City level...

http://www.eredux.com/states/

Bernita 10/15/2007 08:24:00 AM  

Whether the future will be better or worse depends on our perspective, our individual opinon about what is good or what is bad.
And I think the question is rather futile.
Whether the future will be better or worse, they will have to deal with it, like every generation before them - and I expect they will be well able to handle it.

Edie 10/15/2007 10:38:00 AM  

We need to do little things to change this. I started writing something political here and deleted it. I think we can change this, but we need more than slogans, like "No Child Left Behind" that pushes kids onto the next grade even when they can't read. We need real actions that will make a difference.

Erica Orloff 10/15/2007 11:08:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
I have four kids from 17 down to 2, and I think we are leaving a MUCH worse world. I have tried to make a difference for them. I have taught ESL as a volunteer so that war refugees--especially children--can have a chance at a level playing field by speaking the language of their new homeland. I've worked with unwed teen moms in some of the worse crack-infested 'hoods . . . and I see children living in abject poverty who deserve better, and I see violence, and drive-bys and horrific stuff, and there is really no public outcry. We go home to our gated communities and read about the things that happen on the evning news and it doesn't affect us. Instead--on both sides of the political aisle--there's an obsession with sound bites. Add the climate change, drugs, and a host of other social problems and I am not hopeful.

It boils down to caring about your own little corner. If every single person who was capable mentored a child or DID something, we could beat any social problem. I am drawing up plans to start a food pantry for the working poor and seniors living on fixed incomes . . . I KNOW I can make a difference in my community. Instead, most of us are so busy making a living, stressing over the day-to-day (believe me, I do, too), that we don't think we have the time. I have four kids who drive me NUTS half the time--LOL! But to me, we can't afford NOT to make the time if we want to leave the world a bit better. Plus, I want my kids to see it. I want them to see one committed individual can help someone. One Easter Sunday, for instance, their Dad stopped the car for a homeless man, FED him, gave him money, talked to him. The man wasn't an "invisible" leper to my significant other. He was a human being, and the kids' dad made that clear. Not by a lecture. But by what he did. It was years ago. Do they remember? I don't know. But it's there inside them that they've seen us be involved citizens of the world.
E

spyscribbler 10/15/2007 03:14:00 PM  

Eredux, thanks for the link! Ohio is very bad! I just sent a letter to my congressman about a local plant, not that it will make that much difference, but ... we gotta try.

Bernita, maybe. They can handle it, we hope! Except I worry about the environment. They can't undo what we've done. I wish we would think more about that.

Edie, you can write something political here if you want. :-) Whatever's on your mind, write away! The education system is a problem, but I'm tired of the blame always being leveled at the teachers. Sometimes I feel like the teachers end up being the scapegoat for parents who aren't taking responsibility for their child's development.

The problem is, we can't really legislate "help your kid with their homework" or "read to your child every day," or even legislate that the parent needs to know how to read. So in the end, the teachers do have to make up for it.

But somehow, socially, we need parents to hold themselves part responsible for their child's education, too.

spyscribbler 10/15/2007 03:28:00 PM  

Erica, you are just amazing. How do you do it all? I don't understand! I have no kids and you are tons busier than me, and yet you find time for everything.

I'm positive your kids will remember that. It probably feels "normal" to them, which is a great thing to pass on--that it's part of a normal existence to help others.

I do very little, and most of the stuff I have done I've been paid for, so it doesn't count. I love working with teenagers, though. My favorite part of my job has always been talking with kids.

Erica Orloff 10/15/2007 04:46:00 PM  

Hi Spy:
Youknow, I hadn't thought of that--that it feels "normal" for them. You made me feel good today. Thanks!
E

Edie 10/16/2007 07:12:00 PM  

Spy, I'm not criticizing the teachers, I'm criticising the government. I'm saying what my teacher friends are saying. They're forced to pass kids that can't read - even my sister who teaches 2nd grade in a Phoenix school system where a lot of children don't speak the language well and aren't getting the support of their parents, who can't speak or read the language at all.

Also, if Predident Bush says the country has lost hope, well, guess who might be to blame? A president who had put us in debt, and is spending great amounts of our money on a war based on lies instead of spending it on programs for our children.

utenzi 10/17/2007 04:42:00 AM  

In many ways I think the world just keeps getting better for members of our species but I admit the events of the past decade or so are troubling. There's certainly lots of things we people should be doing differently.