Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Poem

A poem by Emily Dickinson, since I seem to have a big case of blog block. You know, come to think of it, my writing’s been slow this week. I don’t know what’s up. Doesn’t matter. Keep plugging away.

How are things for you?

PROBLEMS.

Bring me the sunset in a cup,
Reckon the morning’s flagons up,
And say how many dew;
Tell me how far the morning leaps,
Tell me what time the weaver sleeps
Who spun the breadths of blue!

Write me how many notes there be
In the new robin’s ecstasy
Among astonished boughs;
How many trips the tortoise makes,
How many cups the bee partakes, --
The debauchee of dews!

Also, who laid the rainbow’s piers,
Also, who leads the docile spheres
By withes of supple blue?
Whose fingers string the stalactite,
Who counts the wampum of the night,
To see that none is due?

Who built this little Alban house
And shut the windows down so close
My spirit cannot see?
Who ’ll let me out some gala day,
With implements to fly away,
Passing pomposity?

7 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 10/18/2007 05:45:00 PM  

it's funny how Emily D. can seem so vague, but she'll hit the nail right on the head!

Karen Olson 10/18/2007 08:37:00 PM  

Emily was such a ray of sunshine, wasn't she? :)

Aimless Writer 10/18/2007 09:34:00 PM  

Emily--always a welcome break in an otherwise cloudy day.

Bernita 10/19/2007 07:35:00 AM  

My word, she was good.

Mark Terry 10/19/2007 02:53:00 PM  

the rainbow’s piers,


I love that.

spyscribbler 10/20/2007 12:28:00 AM  

WriteNow, she so hits the nail right on the head. I think all the great poets have that ability to just say things perfectly, you know? They're not just masters of words, but masters of seeing things just so.

LOL, Karen! :-)

Aimless, she's on my dailylit subscription, so I get one poem delivered every morning. It's become an almost spiritual ritual every morning, reading her words.

spyscribbler 10/20/2007 12:30:00 AM  

So true, Bernita. So true.

Love those words, Mark. I really connect with the window thing, too. Been feeling restless, lately.