Thursday, November 08, 2007

Ever get pooped?

I worked hard unraveling the mess. Going okay. For the third time in the past three months, I deleted a whole scene that I later realized I wanted. So I had to rewrite it. You’d’ve thought I would’ve learned the first time not to throw stuff away.

Ah well. Brain is fried.

You know, it takes a hell of a lot of concentration to write a novel, you know that? You can’t half-concentrate. You gotta shut everything else down and really focus.

I’m too tired to cook, too tired to watch tv, too tired to eat, too tired to clean the house that the fixer-people made a humongous mess of.

Ever get brain-fried pooped? Too tired to sleep? How do you find that second wind?

9 bonus scribbles:

Christa M. Miller 11/08/2007 09:37:00 PM  

Hmm. Take a break. Change the scenery. Write something else (short story, article). Write something fun on your WIP (interview a character). Spoof your WIP.

If all else fails, just turn your brain off and give it a rest. Do other things entirely and have faith in your subconscious. Bit by bit, you will start to see what you need to do. (That's the point I generally try to make a date with a coffee shop, because I know I'll need space to work!)

Barrie 11/09/2007 01:03:00 AM  

You are sooo right. It takes a ton, beaucoup concentration to write a book. I bet it's more than playing competiton chess. I worked really, really hard on my outline today. And my brain is fried.

You know what I do with deleted scenes? I save them in a separate file. Which I fondly call "loved, but lost."

JessieGirl 11/09/2007 07:13:00 AM  

i take a day off. go to bed early is the best fix for me but also i watch some good tv and read a book - usually one i've read before and just love to exist inside of. and often i go back to the research and look into something that loosely connects to the story. In my head research is general knowledge and permanetly story specific so if i read more i'll get excited and then want to work.

spyscribbler 11/09/2007 08:44:00 AM  

LOL, Christa. Strangely enough, switching tasks did help, even if it was just cleaning out the litter box. :-)

Barrie, doesn't it? Do you play competition chess? "Loved but lost," I like that. I should do that!

Hi Jessiegirl! No time for a day off, but I did go to bed early! I like that -- "just love to exist inside of." I know books like that!

Edie 11/09/2007 11:34:00 AM  

Meditation might help you. I keep saying I'm going to meditate--and I don't, lol. But you can try it, Spy!

I'm with Christa. Take a break. Go see a movie, take a walk in the woods, go to the zoo or the museum. Or meditate. *g*

I save my scenes in a separate file too. I hope the one you re-wrote was better than the first.

spyscribbler 11/09/2007 11:23:00 PM  

Meditation, Edie, is a great idea. Now that the black mold is cleaned from my house, I can actually do it and not feel like I'm inhaling toxins, LOL! Clean breathing, gotta love it!

Danika / OpenChannel 11/10/2007 04:58:00 PM  

Yes, getting outside always helps me. Walking in nature.

I've stopped using the word "tired." I now say that I'm "sleepy." My husband asked what the difference is. I said, my life is great. All the things I do keep me really busy, but they're all wonderful things. Tired has a negative connotation - like "I'm sick and tired." Sleepy sounds cozy. You can smile when you say "i'm sleepy." It just means you need sleep. :-)

spyscribbler 11/10/2007 06:10:00 PM  

I love that, Danika! No wonder you're a poet. Sleepy. I'm going to try that on DH, LOL.

Um, I'm kinda embarrassed to ask this, but did you change your picture and the look of your blog? (Looks fantastic, btw!)

Bernita 11/11/2007 06:08:00 AM  

Do some unrelated thing that will give you a sense of accomplishment and success.