Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Favorite Holiday Season Ever?

2070098012_5c900ef28d

Five or six or seven years ago (too lazy to do the math), we spent Christmas at the Luxor in Las Vegas. You can’t tell from the picture, but the statue stands two stories tall. That was one of my favorite Christmases ever, because it was the first holiday season I felt like I had my own true family, and the first season I just felt ... completely safe and loved. I think it was our second Christmas together.

When was your very favorite holiday season in your whole life? Why?

6 bonus scribbles:

Erica Orloff 11/28/2007 06:34:00 AM  

We had a tradition where my kids' "aunties"--this committed older couple of women with no children of their own--came over every Christmas to spend it with the kids. We made a delicious breakfast each year and it was all the insanity of three kids (at the time) ripping into presents . . . the aunts helping them, music, warmth. It just was Christmas.

Now we have moved here and we're struggling to make some new traditions (the aunties still live in Florida) . . . but the kids make it great.

E

spyscribbler 11/28/2007 09:54:00 AM  

What a great tradition! Insanity is how Christmas morning should be. That's wonderful!

I wonder if there would be a Christmas if it weren't for kids, you know?

Edie 11/28/2007 10:06:00 AM  

How sweet, Spy. I have a couple favorite holiday memories from my childhood, but when my husband and I were first married, we were watching what we spent. (Still are.) We bought boxes of cheap silver and blue bells, put them up on the tree and wrapped it in blue garland. We loved that tree!

Anonymous,  11/28/2007 10:11:00 AM  

My best Christmas ever was the year I got married. That was before my husband's children turned against us (thanks to their evil mother). The whole gang got together--my family and his--and I never felt happier in my life.

That was 16 years ago.

Since then, not only have we lost touch with his kids, but brother turned into a jerk (thanks to his wife--I think she must be the separated twin from my husband's ex-wife). My father had a stroke.

I haven't had a good Christmas in over a decade. I wish we could escape and be alone at some B&B in Vermont for the holidays.

spyscribbler 11/28/2007 10:28:00 AM  

Aw, Edie! Money certainly doesn't buy happiness. That tree sounds beautiful and very special. :-)

Anonymous, what a wonderful Christmas memory. Stepfamily politics are a nightmare. I never know which end is up, and frankly, I've got too many of my own abandonment issues to be able to put myself out there and risk it. I don't understand the unwritten rules, and I probably never will.

I wish you could escape, too. Sometimes you have to decide what you want to do for the holidays, something you can look forward to, and then do it. That way you're too busy to reminisce and feel sad. DH gets depressed. I don't know. If people don't pay us this month and we're sitting at home eating potatoes, DH is going to be so depressed. That's what I dread. I can pretend it doesn't exist, but he can't.

Every day for the last two months, I've been praying people will catch up on their bills, solely for that one day. Why do we give that one day so much power?

lainey bancroft 11/28/2007 11:09:00 AM  

Working at an upscale resort where employees were housed in dormitories and sharing a room with 5 other girls who had also never been away from home over the holidays. None of us had a nickel to spare and we all worked our a$$es off Christmas Eve and Day with very little thanks (It was quite an eye opener for me that the filthy rich could be so callous to 'the help' on a holiday)

anyhoo, on boxing day we rescued a tree from the dumpster, spent the day making ornaments for it out of such wondrous materials as fancy napkins,drink stir sticks, dental floss, popcorn and our tree-topper Angel was a coke cup, (you know, the festive ones with the polar bear on them? well back then, it was Archie comics and Veronica became our angel) We drank copious amounts of eggnog--well laced, ate nachos for dinner and talked about everyones different traditions.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family and the chaos of everyone getting together, but it was a novelty to spend a holiday were it wasn't about how much we spent.