Monday, November 19, 2007

The Good Side.

A baby picture! From Kate Sterling, 1992. I'm not sure who to coo over more, LOL. They both look cute and adorable!

You’ve probably heard of Dr. Pausch’s last lecture? (I heard about it from Jenny Rappaport.) Carnegie-Mellon has a series of lectures, where the speakers say what they would say if it were their last lecture. In Randy Pausch’s case, it is pretty much true. But that’s not the point. It’s just an inspiring lecture on living life.

I love this quote best: "If you wait long enough, other people will show you their good side."

Below is just a clip, but if you go to YouTube there’s a ten-part series. Thousands of people have watched the whole thing here, and here’s a transcript of his lecture. Edie, his spirit reminds me of you. :-)

4 bonus scribbles:

Edie 11/19/2007 11:36:00 AM  

Aw, Kate and her baby look so cute. Thanks for saying Dr. Pausch's spirit reminds me of you. I try. :)

I saw him on Oprah. He gave the same lecture there, and she talked to him too. It's too bad that we have to learn from pain, ours and other people's. There's the Tim McGraw song, "Live Like You were Dying", and that's so true. Although if I were dying and knew it, in between telling everyone how much I loved them, I'd be scarfing down Snickers bars. So that wouldn't be a good idea.

Every time I talk to my son, I tell him I love him. He tells me he loves me too. :)

Edie 11/19/2007 11:37:00 AM  

I want to edit my comment! I wrote "reminds me of you" and I meant the other way around. Must be Freudian. :)

Kate S 11/19/2007 01:10:00 PM  

Aw, thanks, Spy. :) I just hope Emily doesn't run across this - she'll kill me. :)

I saw that lecture, too - you're right, he and Edie must be kindred spirits. (Edie, the Snickers comment had me laughing out loud - I love those, as my thighs can attest! lol)

That video, and Steve Job's commencement speech are two of my favorites.

Of course, if one needs more cheering up, they can always come here as I do. :) Then there's Edie's blog, The Write Attitude, and a host of others - usually found from links from your blog and theirs.

Thanks for focusing on the positive, Natasha. It makes surfing the web a nicer experience. :)

spyscribbler 11/19/2007 08:50:00 PM  

Really, Edie? I wish I could watch Oprah. I never seem to catch the best episodes, though.

Between you and Kate, I swear. Do you know I went out and bought a bag of those little Snickers bars? I have no willpower!

Kate, see my jaw drop. Me? Cheer anyone up? Focusing on the positive? Gosh, you know, I was thinking of shutting down the blog for a few weeks until I stopped managing to be an Eeyore, LOL.

I wanna be a Tigger, like Edie. :-)