Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Happy Thoughts.

DH is putting up the Christmas lights. We don’t much celebrate Christmas, but we do celebrate Christmas lights. I love the magical feeling, and they are such a pick-me-up. When I feel down or frustrated or just plain tired, I open up my front door and stare at our Christmas lights. They’re not magnificent or anything special, but they make me happy. :-) And I know we’re early this year, but tough, LOL.

Instant smile. What puts an instant smile on your face?

2007334061_39675cf89d_m

2008129372_dd39686881_m

12 bonus scribbles:

Anissa 11/13/2007 10:38:00 PM  

Your lights brought a smile to my face! I love holiday lights, and yours are beautiful. Last year I got lazy and skipped putting ours up. I missed them so much. It just doesn't seem right to be sweating while hanging Christmas lights. Oh well, that's what we get for living in the desert. ;)

Oh, and for me? My boys' laughter always brings an instant smile...even when they've been naughty.

Bailey Stewart 11/13/2007 10:58:00 PM  

Your lights are beautiful.

Me? Right now anything chocolate.

spyscribbler 11/13/2007 11:08:00 PM  

Anissa, wow, I was really bummed that there was no snow for Christmas last year. I can't imagine a desert!

A child's laughter is wonderful.

Thanks, Bailey! Would you believe that when your comment popped up in my email, I was just taking the first bite of a chocolate bar?

Ello 11/13/2007 11:36:00 PM  

I love Christmas lights! And yours look great! We always wait for the day after Thanksgiving and my kids go bonkers over the tree and lights.

Erica Orloff 11/14/2007 06:47:00 AM  

I LOVE Christmas lights!!!

My kids' giggling. Newborns--mine or anyone's . . . I think babies smell like heaven. The picture of my Grandma on my desk--I look at it and talk to her, or I just think of her and smile. Certain songs. Even MORE, if I am in a bad mood or feeling sad and I turn on the RADIO in the car (vs. my iPod) and the first song just happens to be one of my all-time favorites--it's like a "sign" or something.
E

Angie 11/14/2007 07:34:00 AM  

I love Christmas lights too. :) When I was little, my grandfather used to decorate their house like whoa. And this was back in the old days, when your tree had nightlight-size bulbs on it and the ones on your house were a good two inches long. It was awesome. [grin] Even now I get that shivery-warm feeling just sitting in my mom's living room, with all the main lights turned off and just the lights on the tree and her Christmas village and whatever other lit-up decorations on.

Angie

L.L. Bartlett 11/14/2007 08:43:00 AM  

Wow--you guys are a LOT more ambitious than us. (Looks great, too!) We always put up our lights on Thanksgiving weekend. Nothing fancy, just a string of the big bulbs along the roofline. (We do this on my folk's house, too.) The lights and music are my favorite part of the holidays.

StarvingWriteNow 11/14/2007 08:53:00 AM  

What fun! I can't wait to get my lights up!

Edie 11/14/2007 09:33:00 AM  

Love your Christmas lights! We'll put ours up on Thanksgiving weekend. I have a few Christmas decorations I keep out year round. A dancing angel. A red and green, tin train car with a snowman looking out the window. I keep them out just for the reason you said - they bring a smile to my face.

My cat likes to jump in my linen closet behind a pile of towels. I'll call her name and her little face pops up and peeks out at me. That makes me smile.

avery 11/14/2007 01:25:00 PM  

Nice lights. I suggested putting up the tree the other day and got a glare that could melt ice. I guess I have to wait until after next week.

Instant smile for me? The suggestion of dessert. The mention of fall. Hearses (the ones for sale, not the ones with bodies in them).

Barrie 11/14/2007 04:08:00 PM  

Licorice.

Do you like to look at other people's decorations? If yes, I'll post a pic of my neighbour's house when they're done. Takes several weekends!

spyscribbler 11/15/2007 12:46:00 AM  

Erica, I love that baby smell! There's nothing like it. I bought baby perfume once because I love that smell so much!

Angie, we had those lights when I was little! To think of it now, I can't believe it. But they could sure light up a house!

L.L., fancy isn't the point. I think it's the spirit of it. There's something exciting in the air. I don't even mind the endless Jingle Bells everywhere you go.

WriteNow, I hope you'll share a picture!

Edie, I think it's so cool that you keep some Christmas decorations out year round! And my cat loves the towels in the closet, too. Makes a comfy bed for himself ... and then next time I pull out a new towel to dry myself, I end up having to rinse off all the cat hair!

Avery, I love the smell of fall. I hope you can put up your lights soon! Thanksgiving is early this year, isn't it?

Barrie, I LOVE to look at other people's decorations! We used to drive around on Christmas eve after the service! Great memories!