Monday, November 19, 2007

Kindle, Your Blogs and Your Books.

I had a great post about MySpace and characterization, but I turned on my space heater. Now that DH has ALL the Christmas lights up, of course this blew a fuse. Luckily, this didn’t happen before I finally got my blogrolls installed on my blog. (See far right sidebar over there.)

Have you seen the new Amazon Kindle? It’s like the Sony Reader, in that you can read it easily in broad daylight and it’s easy on the eyes.

DH reluctantly likes the idea of it. I think I’d rather have an Amazon Kindle than a Sony Reader, but DH is grumbling about the fact that we can’t pick one up and hold it and test it and look at it. That's a major drawback for me.

My favorite features, though, are:

  • I need to slim down my "carrying weight" in a big way, and a reader will help me feed my book habit without taking up so much space.
  • You don't have to be connected to your computer or the internet; it automatically connects to Amazon via wireless cellphone-type technology.
  • You can sample the first chapter of anything for free, first.
  • Newspaper subscriptions can be delivered wirelessly every morning!
  • You can add notes to the text with the thumb keyboard thing.
  • Built-in Dictionary
  • Access to Wikipedia!
  • AND NY Times Bestsellers and New Releases are always $9.99 or less. That's a huge savings!

Hey, about the blogroll links in my sidebar: I still haven’t added all of the links that are in my thunderbird reader yet. I’ve been trying to when I visit, but half the time I forgot. So if you’re not linked, please let me know. I know I read more blogs than are over there!

Speaking of updating my blog, do any of y’all have new books or a book that I don’t have in my orange sidebar? And see those flashing dots next to the recently updated blogs in the blogroll? Is that annoying or useful?

PS: The picture of the Amazon Kindle counts as a holiday picture, because it's on my Christmas list for 2008 ... including 2007, and my birthday ... LOL. But please send me some pictures! :-)

10 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 11/20/2007 07:06:00 AM  

Well, it's certainly an interesting idea... but I think I'd miss my books. Riffling the pages, smelling the ink... you know, all that totally queer book-addict stuff.

Erica Orloff 11/20/2007 08:13:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
You know, I resisted getting an iPod for a year, then got one for Christmas last year--and didn't exactly think it was something I'd use. I got the video one that can hold like 10,000 songs. Well . . . OH MY GOD, but it's my life. My songs--thousands of them--soundtracks, music, videos, photos. It's insane how much I use it--virtually 24/7. So . . . I totally resist even the THOUGHT of an e-reader. I like browsing bookstores, cup of java in my hand, poking around. But maybe, like the iPod, once I make the leap, I would like it. But I don't know. I kind of doubt it right now.
E

Edie 11/20/2007 09:38:00 AM  

The ipod reader sounds interesting. Maybe it's something I'll do later, but not now. I'm wondering how it would be to read the funnies on a small screen.

spyscribbler 11/20/2007 10:04:00 AM  

Yeah, Writenow, me too. But I love the idea of being able to carry two hundred books around with me. :-) Do you know I must take fifteen books on day trips, just because I'm afraid I won't have the book I want, LOL?

spyscribbler 11/20/2007 10:07:00 AM  

I want an iPod, Erica! Someday. I would never be able to give up bookstores! But you can browse the bookstore with a cup of java "poking around" (I love that! I do that every day! It's my favorite part!) and then when you find a book you want, click a button on your reader and it will download it!

spyscribbler 11/20/2007 10:08:00 AM  

Hmm, Edie, I don't know. I wonder if it can even do color; the e-ink is really like paper. You feel like you're looking at a regular book page, so I'm not sure the funnies would translate. I don't know, though!

Julie 11/20/2007 10:57:00 AM  

Just passing - I came accross Kindle last night - did you see the epublishing side of it and the digital text platform info - there are 90,000 books available.

Flashing lights; think they are too far away from text to distract.

Regards

lainey bancroft 11/20/2007 11:12:00 AM  

Hmm. Probably wrong of someone who writes e-books to admit she's never even examined the possibilities of e-readers. :0

This sounds interesting though. I like the instant gratification of that wireless connection. "I want a book NOW'!

I'm kinda with starvingwritenow, the feel of pages etc, plus, I like all those brightly colored entertaining covers stacked...um everywhere in my house!

If Santa tucks one in your stocking, give us a report on what you think of it.

Karen Olson 11/20/2007 04:46:00 PM  

After looking at computer screens all day, I like having a book in my hands, turning the pages, the old fashioned way. I'm not sure I'll be a convert to this newfangled technology.

And I don't have an iPod either. It's those little ear buds. Hate things in my ears. But the big earphones seem so, well, unfashionable...

spyscribbler 11/21/2007 01:04:00 AM  

Julie, 90,000 books ... see me drool. :-) Thanks for popping by! You have a wonderful blog. (And I know that because you read Narnia, LOL.)

I promise I will, Lainey. That'll probably be Christmas 2008, though. :-) I will miss the smell of books, but it actually makes me sneeze, anyway. (Sadly, Borders does not smell like books, but it does not make me sneeze, either. B&N does, and I have a local small indie that smells so good that I almost orgasm as I sneeze!)

Karen, I'm all for big earphones. I don't have an iPod, but I hook up huge, high quality earphones to my computer. Who cares about fashion when you can listen to music so perfect?