Saturday, November 24, 2007

One Step At A Time.

//static.flickr.com/2216/2060654099_fb4e76f69e_mA Christmas light display’s take on "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima," DH and I’s first Christmas light drive-through display together a long while ago. One of his favorites.

Pssst ... anyone have any more holiday pictures to share?

The itch to complain when life gets you down is one powerful itch, isn’t it? I’ve been trying SO hard not to scratch that itch, lately, trying to look at things on the positive side. (Mostly because of you guys, so thank you!)

But even when I try to frame things in a positive manner, sometimes a snarky little voice can’t help but take a sideways, backwards, hidden stab at complaining, you know?

There are just some days I want life to be easier. And it seems like everyone else handles things so much better and more gracefully than I do, and I wonder how.

Anyways, I firmly believe that if you keep your eye on the ball and just take one more step towards that ball every day, then you’ll get to the damn ball. And then you can start rolling it.

There are always points when you feel like you are not going to get out of a mess, when you feel like things aren’t going to get better, when you feel like there’s no clear path.

But you just gotta take one more step.

Okay, now that I’ve given myself a pep talk, can I tell you I’ve been craving Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, etc.? We’re talking a craving as strong as chocolate, which for me means I’d be willing to get out of bed at two a.m., get dressed, and drive ten minutes to the nearest all-night store just for chocolate.

Ever have a really strong craving for a particular novel or genre?

11 bonus scribbles:

Edie 11/25/2007 10:58:00 AM  

Spy, some people handle life better than others, but it's not bad to admit to yourself that your life isn't going as well as you wanted. Just so we don't wallow in it, lol.

That's a strong craving you've got there. I was cleaning out my frig yesterday and found a partially empty jar of hot chocolate topping. (I don't put toppings on ice cream and must have used it for a recipe.) So I opened it, stuck my finger inside, sucked off the topping, and decided to keep it. Yum.

I do get cravings, and I think that's why I write. I can't always find the books I want, and so I have to write it. :)

spyscribbler 11/25/2007 11:15:00 AM  

Oh YUM! I love Malley's Hot Fudge sauce, straight from a jar! Speaking of which, I'm out of chocolate darnit ... now there's something to complain about!

:D

I hear you about writing your cravings. It's like an itch; only you can find that exact spot you're craving, you know?

Edie 11/25/2007 12:29:00 PM  

Hey, I just saw I wrote "partially empty jar" instead of "partially full". LOL, I didn't know I was one of those people.

Rhonda Stapleton 11/25/2007 01:21:00 PM  

I am sooooo the same way. I get cravings for certain kinds of stories...and I do love me some classics!!!

spyscribbler 11/25/2007 05:56:00 PM  

LOL, Edie! But partially is different than half. A jar partially empty implies it's almost full. A jar partially full jar implies it's almost empty.

It's the halfway mark that sheds light on your personality, LOL.

spyscribbler 11/25/2007 06:00:00 PM  

I hear you Rhonda! I'm just dying for Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre. Or Dickens. And can you believe that I read all of those as a child, so I got them all at the library? I don't own a single one of those great books!

Bailey Stewart 11/25/2007 06:56:00 PM  

The SIL and I rented two movies today. One was the newest Die Hard movie. I was all set to see things blow up. She put it in the machine and it wouldn't load. We watched Ocean's 13 instead. Good movie, but not quite the same. Now I'm craving a movie that blows things up.

I often crave a good romantic comedy, but there are only so many authors that have the same sense of humor that I do. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, for them that is.

I have down days. Real bad days. And if I can just find something to make me laugh, I feel better about it. Or just venting on the blog. That's okay once in a while, so long as it doesn't become a regular thing.

spyscribbler 11/25/2007 07:27:00 PM  

I hear you, Bailey. Funny enough, by trying to be positive on the blog, I feel SO much better! Usually, at least!

Aimless Writer 11/25/2007 08:54:00 PM  

I mostly read mysteries, Stephen King and scary stuff. Then when I've sufficiently scared myself silly I have to read a romance. Something happy to soothe my fried brain.
When dh goes out of town on business I replace dinner with ice cream, chocolate and court TV.
(Does that count as a craving???)
:)

Barrie 11/26/2007 01:07:00 AM  

Oh yes, I absolutely have cravings for certain kinds of books. Right now--it's mysteries. :)

spyscribbler 11/28/2007 09:46:00 AM  

Aimless, ice cream and chocolate as a craving?? Most DEFINITELY! I go nuts for chocolate! I miss the man terribly when he's gone, but sometimes it's a nice freedom. For a few hours.

LOL, Barrie. I haven't properly read enough mysteries yet. I always like them, though! What kind of mysteries?