Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tee-hee. And an invitation.

//static.flickr.com/187/434110843_dde6911f81_mHey, I had an idea! I love the Christmas season, and I was wondering if you all would want to play along with my idea. Wouldn’t it be fun for me (maybe only for me, LOL) to post holiday pictures(any November/December holiday) for all my posts this season?

I have plenty, but it’d be even cooler if I could post some of your pictures. Anything goes as long as it’s holiday-related and G-rated. Babies, kittens and puppies get extra credit. Oh! And I love Christmas lights, but you already know that. :-)

Will you please share a picture or two or three at spyscribbler at gmail dot com?

Oh! And guess what?

DH has decided he’s going to write a novel in January. I can’t wait for him to learn to appreciate how hard it is to write a novel. He’s said more than once that if he were writing a story, he’d just sit down and get it down, poo-poo on thinking and stalling and working out plot problems and all that nonsense.

I am waiting with an evil sort of glee. But I hope he has fun. And I think it’s cool that he’s going to learn more about what I do, understand me a little more deeply.

What’s your SO think of the writing process? Of the writing work?

13 bonus scribbles:

Erica Orloff 11/15/2007 06:43:00 AM  

Oh, yay! I'm in. Let me rustle up some holiday pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
E

Aimless Writer 11/15/2007 07:51:00 AM  

Sometimes I think my dh just puts up with my writing mania. Sometimes I think he tries to understand. Once when I was having a serious meltdown he stopped and told me he thought I was feeling so upset because I stopped writing. (he was right, I started writing again and the world righted itself)So, I'm not sure he understands but I think he knows I need it to remain sane.
Now I'm going to go find some pics! Great idea.

Edie 11/15/2007 08:05:00 AM  

That's a terrific idea, Spy! Love it.

My dh wants to write a children's book. He thought of it in early summer, and even bought a notebook. He finally wrote something in it a couple weeks ago - dimensions of our kitchen, which we'll be remodeling this winter.

But he did talk about his book last weekend. He's been thinking about the plot. Maybe he'll get around to writing it some day.

Lorraine Bartlett 11/15/2007 08:32:00 AM  

I've got tons of old (1940s and 1950s) Christmas cards. They are so friggin' charming it could make you sick. But I can't get my new all-in-one to scan. Wahhhhhhh!

I need a computer geek to come and figure out why.

Bernita 11/15/2007 08:32:00 AM  

Oh joy about your DG's ambitions.
Heh, heh.
~licking my feline lips~
To steal a great line from someone I read recently( can't remember who and too lazy to run it down) - sometimes writing is as exciting as sorting gravel.

Angie 11/15/2007 10:08:00 AM  

My husband is delighted that I'm doing something that makes me happy, especially lately when it's been particularly cool and I've been boinging about it a lot.

Of course, he also cackled gleefully at my first royalty check -- all $7.65 of it, LOL! He has dreams of me supporting us in our old age. I just eyeroll tolerantly and go back to writing. [rueful smile]

Angie

Liz Wolfe 11/15/2007 11:51:00 AM  

The husband is tolerant and supportive of my writing. He once wrote a scene and it was really good. But he said he had no idea where to go with it or how to turn it into a novel.
As writers we all hear people say "Oh, you're a writer? Yeah, I've thought about writing a book someday." When anyone says that to me, I encourage them to do so. I might even hint that it really is very easy to write a book. Yes, I have an evil side.

Erica Orloff 11/15/2007 03:54:00 PM  

Hi Spy:
As for dh . . .

He's dyslexic (I am 99% sure), the product of a broken home and a school system that stamped him a poor Mexican and didn't give him the support he needed to learn. So READING my stuff is out of the question, though I read aloud to him sometimes and he's VERY supportive. When I have a deadline, he tries to be helpful. But I also know there's definitely an element of "he doesn't get it"--like I think because I can write in pjs, he thinks it's easy or something. I don't know . . . I do know that I can't really talk to him about plot or characters or anything substantive with my writing, and I sometimes feel like that means I keep myself very closed off from him because we're so different. On the other hand, one temperamental writer in the house in enough. Or perhaps one too many. :-)
E

spyscribbler 11/15/2007 07:05:00 PM  

Erica, I'd love them!

Aimless, it's cool how our others sometimes know us better than we know ourselves. Or at least see us more clearly.

Edie, a children's book? That's awesome! That would be really cool. I would like to write a children's book someday. (Um, who knows when the someday will be, though!)

spyscribbler 11/15/2007 07:07:00 PM  

Lorraine, I used to work at a museum shop in college, and they had the coolest antique holiday postcards. I love those!

LOL, Bernita. I really can't wait to watch him do this. I want him to have fun and I'm truly looking forward to him having some fun, but I can't help but be eager to see him learn just how hard it is.

spyscribbler 11/15/2007 07:10:00 PM  

LOL, Angie! A royalty is a royalty. Heck, I have a 4,000 word short story that's been making little bits, monthly, for like eight years or so. It adds up! Writing is cool that way; it's like an investment.

LOL, Liz! That's great. I think that writing helps us appreciate and support writing more. I wish every student in America had to do Nano! Then we'd have no declining book sales, I bet!

spyscribbler 11/15/2007 07:14:00 PM  

Awww, Erica. I remember you once wrote about how you read one of your books to him and he cried in all the right places. That's just so sweet.

And I hear you about understanding. He tries and he's pretty good. But I feel bad sometimes when my mind is in the middle of a scene and he starts talking. I snap--can't he see I'm working? And then I realize that of course he can't!

writtenwyrdd 11/15/2007 11:53:00 PM  

That's hilarious what the DH is thinking. He'll learn the hard way. I hope he loves writing, though.

I have some holiday and winter pics on teh old blog, and you can pick them up and reuse them if you like. I'll email a couple too, unless I forget. Must off to bed now, however.

But I'd love you to use my gingerbread house from last Xmas party. So ugly it's hilarious.