Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Weirdly, Reincarnationist.

(I wrote this post EONS ago. I can’t seem to find where I actually posted it, but ... um, if I’ve already posted it, LOL ... then can you just kinda pretend I didn’t post it yet and pretend I don’t have the world’s worst memory ... please? And when I say things like "today" and "yesterday," it really means a couple months ago ...)

When I walked into Borders today, I found six, shiny, brand-new copies of The Reincarnationist by MJ Rose. I felt immensely proud, as if by choosing to patronize the store that is wise enough to restock The Reincarnationist, I have a right to be proud.

For some odd reason, I’ve attached to this book. If this book doesn’t do fantastic, doesn’t go beyond all the warning stories and pitfalls and bad luck we hear about in the business, then ... then ... then ...

Well, it would just make me happy and hopeful to see this book rise above all that. Simply because it’s so good, it has to rise above all that. Please?

Speaking of good stories, I finally got my palm pilot working. I curled up in bed with Bernita Harris’s short story, Stone Child, in the Weirdly anthology. I loved it! She once said it’s not a horror story, but I kinda feel like it is. (What do I know?) For lack of something else to call it, it’s a horror story about trolls. So original! In just that short story, she built a whole world, fully fleshed out, with world rules that felt original and new.

Trolls! Can you believe it?

Trolls sound cutesy, but it’s not cutesy. It’s a gritty story that will leave you feeling appalled and horrified, featuring a determined, kickass, and compassionate investigator, Lillie St. Claire. Justice is served, but in an unexpected (and better, imo) way.

And beyond all that, she writes with the same vivid, beautiful voice you read on her blog.

Who says short stories are a dying art? Do you read them? Do you love them? Do you write them?

8 bonus scribbles:

Edie 11/06/2007 04:27:00 PM  

I sold 11 short stories to national magazines in the early 90s. I stopped writing them, but still read them for awhile. Now I rarely read them. I do read novellas occasionally.

spyscribbler 11/06/2007 05:03:00 PM  

That is SO cool, Edie! I love a good short story, although I hate when authors try to be clever with them. I like it best when they just write a good short story.

By the way, I got a bit mixed up in my commenting. I remember you said somewhere that you'd love to live in Pern. I just wanted to say ...

ME TOO!!!! Ohmigod, ME TOO! That has to be one of the best worlds ever created.

Bernita 11/06/2007 07:14:00 PM  

Dear One!
Thank you for tose sweet words.
I kiss your hands and feet.

Kate S 11/06/2007 07:46:00 PM  

Read, write, love them. :)

M.E Ellis 11/07/2007 03:24:00 AM  

Stone Child is a great read!

:o)

Angie 11/07/2007 04:49:00 AM  

I like shorts, definitely. [nod] I read and write them. I like different lengths for different reasons, but I think shorter stories are more difficult to do really well, because you have less playing room, less room to mess up and recover. Everything has to pull its weight and you have to be very aware of what you're doing and where you're going and exactly how you're going to get there, no purely scenic detours allowed.

Angie

julia 11/07/2007 04:13:00 PM  

My husband is a big short story fan. He owns many, many anthologies. I used to write them early on, and I enjoy reading them, as in the anthology of Dracula stories I'm finishing up.

spyscribbler 11/07/2007 04:55:00 PM  

Bernita: true, not sweet. :-)

Kate, so very cool!

M.E. Ellis, isn't it? I loved it! I hope I get to read more of Lillie St. Claire.

Angie, it's funny. I have trouble adjusting between lengths. I can never remind myself of the points you mention enough!

Julia, that's why I disagree (at least, I hope!) that short stories are a dying art. We're starved for time in our society; isn't this the perfect time for short stories to make a comeback?