Thursday, November 08, 2007

Your Muse?

So what’s your muse like?

I was just considering how negative I sounded today. Well, I’m in a funk. I won’t repeat ad nauseum how much I screwed up this stupid story, but I did. (Okay, I know once I sit down with a calm, clear mind, it won’t be anywhere near as bad as it feels.)

But there are some days I like my funks. And I have the coolest muse. Like, take today for instance. We’ve been hurling insults at each other all day. I mean, really tearing each other to pieces, like growling dogs ripping flesh with our teeth, blood gushing from our mouths.

(Uh-huh. Read that last sentence. That’s how badly writing went today.)

For some odd reason, I take a sick sort of pleasure from these days. I have no idea why. It’s not like fighting with DH. He doesn’t fight well. He goes silent-angry or he sulks. And if I hurled insults at him, I don’t know. I think he’d leave or something. It’s just past the line, you know?

But when the muse and I yell at each other, we kinda enjoy it. We take a gritty pleasure out of going for the jugular. I rant and rave at the insanity of writing and he rants and raves at the ineptitude of, um, me. He shreds my writing to pieces and I do the same to him.

It’s cool, ’cause neither of us get hurt feelings or pays much mind to what we say to each other. It’s like a contest of sorts, gets our competitive spirit revved.

We use the energy as fuel to gear ourselves up for the next round in the writing ring.

Whatever works, I guess. So what’s your muse like? What’s your relationship like?

10 bonus scribbles:

Rhonda Stapleton 11/08/2007 07:49:00 AM  

My muse is a beyotch sometimes. haha. I can't seem to make her behave constantly, but when she gets in the zone, it ROCKS...now, to find out how to properly bribe her...

writtenwyrdd 11/08/2007 07:55:00 AM  

My muse is like a nagging voice I mostly ignore between bouts of writing. When writing, she's the hand that moves the glove.

Erica Orloff 11/08/2007 08:25:00 AM  

What a really cool post. My muse is totally different. She's very insecure most of the time, sort of exhausted . . . and I have to coax her to tell me her secrets, and nurture her over a cup of tea.
E

StarvingWriteNow 11/08/2007 09:45:00 AM  

My muse likes taking vacations, which requires me to chase her down and beat the crap out of her.

spyscribbler 11/08/2007 09:52:00 AM  

Rhonda, LOLOL ... your zone is inspiring to see, I swear! Your zone totally rocks!

Writtenwyrdd, that's pretty cool. Gets you back to writing I guess, huh? Fascinating!

Aw, how sweet, Erica! Your muse is a little like the imaginary reader on my shoulder. She's so vulnerable, and I feel such love and tenderness for her when I'm writing. Real love, I swear!

Hah! WriteNow, that cracks me up!

Karen Olson 11/08/2007 11:23:00 AM  

I have no muse. I think it's years of working on deadline at a newspaper. I didn't have time for any sort of muse to show up and slap me upside the head and tell me to get writing. I had an editor for that :)

Holly Kennedy 11/08/2007 01:50:00 PM  

My muse, when he/she actually shows up, is like rocket fuel to my fingertips. Sad thing is, he/she usually taps on my shoulder well after midnight with a big grin on his/her face!!!

spyscribbler 11/08/2007 02:25:00 PM  

You know, Karen, being a journalist is one of those jobs that seem like the coolest, to me. But if I met an editor as ruthless as my muse, I'd crumple in a heartbeat, LOL.

Hah! Holly, that's hilarious. Your muse is devious!

Karen Olson 11/08/2007 03:10:00 PM  

I once made a reporter cry. And I'm not sorry :)

Being a journalist is actually pretty dull most of the time for the majority; I always said that someone like Peter Jennings had the cool job.

Stewart Sternberg 11/08/2007 06:47:00 PM  

I used to have a muse, but with cutbacks and problems with the dropping value of the dollar, I had to give her up. Oh, sure...I went the route of "A-MUSE-MENTS ORG.", you know, the community muse matching service, but sharing a muse with a group of strangers just didn't seem to sit right by me.