Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Fever.

It’s kind of like Spring fever, but I can’t wait until break. Of course, I’ll miss my students, but the weeks off are a nice recharge. Three and three-quarters more days before break.

I ate so much sugar today, I’m tired. Amidst all these yummy cookies, I actually can’t wait to eat my sugarless, healthy cookies. I also cheated and had a piece of cheese today. Isn’t funny how when you tell yourself you can’t have something to eat, it suddenly becomes this huge, intense craving? And then you eat it, and you’re like ... that wasn’t that good.

I’ve been off my diet for two days and I’m ready to go back. That’s cool. So cheating isn’t so bad, you know?

But all this cookie baking and Christmas card writing, and I haven’t written a word in days. If you don’t count the obsessive blogging I’ve been doing because I’m missing writing so much. I did discover some cool new blogs, though.

Some bad news, and that’s DH is going away to work again on January 4 for four months. Last time I dealt with it by watching all five or six seasons of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in bed. Well, I did have the week off.

But you know those people who deal with things by cleaning? Or by being ultra-obsessively productive?

I’ve decided I want to be like that this time.

What type are you? And how do you flip that switch to be a bummed person who obsessively cleans and gets tons of things done?

Anyways, do you get a bit of a break for Christmas or whichever holiday you celebrate? Are you looking forward to it? Any special plans?

16 bonus scribbles:

Bailey Stewart 12/17/2007 05:37:00 PM  

I'm the bummed one - so I have no idea how to switch that switch. Sorry he's going to be gone that long.

I have four days off from work - yay!

I never worry about the diet during the holidays. Makes it easier that way.

Erica Orloff 12/17/2007 06:02:00 PM  

OK, Spy, so while he's away . . . we'll have to think of some amazing films for you to watch 9and you can review them on your blog). And you can call me anytime you feel lonely--even though i know you hate the phone. ;-)
E

spyscribbler 12/17/2007 06:23:00 PM  

Me, too, Bailey. I'm gonna learn. I have to.

Four days off work sounds heavenly! And poo-poo on dieting during the holidays!

spyscribbler 12/17/2007 06:28:00 PM  

Awww, thanks, Erica. I really should get over that, it's silly! Crazy! Maybe it's because no one ever calls me except to complain or with bad news, LOL. As soon as it rings, I cringe. No student has ever called me to say, "Hey, just wanted to call and tell you how good things are going!"

I need a phone that's just for friends, and learn how to love talking on the phone again.

I love movies. Before DH moved out here, I went twice a week. I just might be able to revive that habit!

Erica Orloff 12/17/2007 06:36:00 PM  

OK, Spy:
Here's the plan. We'll pick a movie, each watch it one night, and then call to discuss. :-)
E

Holly Kennedy 12/17/2007 09:06:00 PM  

Wow, your hubby has to go away for four months!? That's too bad. Make sure you enjoy Christmas and have an extra good time then :)

spyscribbler 12/17/2007 09:42:00 PM  

You're on, Erica!

Holly, I'm cherishing every single second, I promise!

Edie 12/18/2007 12:10:00 AM  

Spy, that sucks about DH. No, I would not turn into a ultra-obsessive cleaning person.

My husband is getting me all The Thin Man movies for Christmas. I'm looking forward to watching them. :)

Our plans for Christmas include a lot of visiting. Probably a lot of eating too.

Barrie 12/18/2007 02:53:00 AM  

Four months is a long time. I'd definitely plan several fun activities. Re the phone: could you program it so that you hear a different ring when friends call?

Aimless Writer 12/18/2007 07:42:00 AM  

I'm across the bay from NYC. Most of the people I know work there; friends, neighbors, family. When 9/11 hit I couldn't stop cleaning. When I worry I don't stop moving. Now there are kids in their 20's; one in college, one out. When they stretch their wings my house gets cleaner! Lately...its been pretty calm...don't look at my house now!
Now, stop eating sugar! You've been my inspiration-I need you! Cookies in the house would drive me crazy.
My dh travels alot for work too, but four months??? Do you get to see him during that time? Is he in the service?

Bernita 12/18/2007 08:58:00 AM  

Cleaning helps.
I hope to take a break and get back on track w/the WIP.

Clea Simon 12/18/2007 02:38:00 PM  

I'm totally the bumming type. I'll end up buying all sorts of healthy food and then sabotaging myself - like, I'll have a big bowl of fresh vegetable soup. And a box of chocolate chip cookies. C'est la vie.

The one thing I've learned is that even when I'm alone and it's the most horrid winter weather, I have to go outside every day. Something about the sun or the fresh air, or maybe even struggling over the crusty, piled up, plowed up snow, gets my blood moving again.
good luck!

lainey bancroft 12/18/2007 03:55:00 PM  

I hate the phone too, Spy.

((HUGS)) for the absence. They say it makes the heart grow fonder, but too long and it makes the heart ache.

Probably unpopular to confess, but I'm the compulsive cleaner. To the point where when the jets cool and I'm 'normal' again, I go looking for things I've thrown out in the throes of my closet cleaning jag! *sigh* not exactly a helpful post. sorry.

spyscribbler 12/18/2007 04:04:00 PM  

Visiting and eating sounds like a heavenly vacation, Edie! What's the Thin Man?

Barrie, that's a good idea! I ought to give out my cell phone number. When Glenn's away, you should see how I start grinning when my cell phone rings!

spyscribbler 12/18/2007 04:09:00 PM  

Wow, Aimless! See, you're my inspiration. I want your reaction to stress. Now here's the question: how do you flip that switch so you clean instead of sit around and be depressed?

DH isn't in the service, although he was during Vietnam. It's possible I won't even get to talk to him. But we'll be writing each other every day.

Bernita, good luck on getting back to the WIP! You've been busy with that contest last week! That was a treat to read.

I want to be a cleaner. That's my New Year's Resolution.

spyscribbler 12/18/2007 05:13:00 PM  

Oh, Clea, but that's better than having chocolate chip cookies and pizza! So it's step in the right direction!

I'm going to take up walking again, good idea. I used to do it every night, but we had a some really bad weather for a couple years and I got off the habit. Good idea!

Oh, Lainey, so glad to know I'm not alone! My heart will definitely be aching for Glenn. *sigh*

Now, I think it's totally awesome that you're a compulsive cleaner when you're upset. But can you tell me your secret? How do you get yourself cleaning instead of moping? Do you put the sadness out of your head and just focus on cleaning? Or are you feeling sad while you clean?

(Come to Natasha's blog and get the third degree! Fun, fun!) ;-)