Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Do You Believe in Miracles?

Okay, sorry to ask, but, um ... if you pray, meditate, light candles, or think positive thoughts, could you please do your thing for the hope that DH won’t have to go away to work?

I’ve entered the denial stage, I think. Or is it the bargaining stage? Whatever.

Anything will do. Even if he can just get a job locally. I mean, why is it so hard for a man who’s managed three hotels and worked at IBM to find at the very least a minimum wage job? We could deal with that. So what if he’s not so young anymore ... I mean, geeze. He went to Duke. He’s way overqualified. He gets rave reviews wherever he’s worked. When he works, he rarely works less than eighteen hours a day unless he’s not needed. What’s the big deal?

I’ll take a lottery win, too, but ... you know. I’m all for practical solutions. I just want them locally.

Please, universe? Pretty please? I’ll only cheat on eating once every two weeks. I’ll do yoga five times a week and I’ll meditate every day. I’ll volunteer every week. I’ll clean the house every day and make home-cooked meals every week. I’ll write and teach and play until my fingers fall off. I promise.

That’s all I want for Christmas.

On to more fun matters: what do you want for Christmas?

7 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 12/19/2007 07:30:00 AM  

right now I'm having a little trouble believing in miracles in my own life, but I'd be happy to pray for one in yours.

sending positive vibes along...

Edie 12/19/2007 07:52:00 AM  

Spy, sending positive vibes here too, and a prayer.

I won't be sending my wip out until January, so what I want for Christmas is a lot of love, laughter and good times.

Aimless Writer 12/19/2007 07:54:00 AM  

Sending positive vibes to your hubby and you! Keep repeating "---will get a great job that makes us both happy." everyday, serveral times a day for as long as it takes. Power of positive thinking.
Can you go with him? At least for part of the time? How far is he going?
My dh used to travel for months at a time when my kids were small. It was hell. His job now still has travel but its only a week or two at a time and not so bad. Hang in there Spy!

lainey bancroft 12/19/2007 09:02:00 AM  

{{{{MORE POSITIVE VIBES}}}

Kate Wendleton: Through the Brick wall! How to job hunt in a tough market.

A lot of it is very basic, resume writing etc. but there are some terrific tips.

After being jerked around for years with jobs that offered him the world and then wound up being less than part time when we had just built a house and had two toddlers, DH read it and decided if he couldn't find a job, he'd MAKE one. I can't pretend being in business for ourselves is easy, no sick days, no benefits...but at least we're no longer at the whim of some cranky boss (well, except me, or him, depending on who wants to play good-boss or bad-boss that day)

email me, Spy. I have an Amazon gift card from that Ode contest and I want to send you and your DH the book for Christmas.

xo

spyscribbler 12/19/2007 03:23:00 PM  

Writenow, I understand. I'll send some positive vibes for you, too!

Thanks, Edie! Let me know, and I'll think positive thoughts for your WIP! Or would it be SIP? (Submission in Progress)

I'll do that, Aimless! I will. I have to just be strong. Why does love make you so weak?

Oh, Lainey, thank you, please use your gift card for you! Thank you so much, the idea totally made my day! We're hitting the library tonight, and we'll be spending all weekend at Borders. I'm going to read it, then force him to! We had plans for him to start a business of his own, but we've hit a few obstacles. Hence the four month band-aid.

:-(

But I am done pitying myself and being depressed, I promise. No more wimpy me!

Angie 12/19/2007 07:51:00 PM  

Not religious, sorry. But I have a suggestion. If there's a temp agency in your town (that might be a stupid statement, but I don't know where you live :) ) suggest your husband sign up with it. More than one would be good too. Temps have a rep for being stupid and incompetent, but really good temps often get offers of permanent positions, once the people at whatever company see what they can do. My mom temped for a while and got job offers everywhere she went. She finally picked a company and stayed. Worth a try?

Good luck, hon, however it goes. [hugz]

Angie

spyscribbler 12/20/2007 11:34:00 AM  

Angie, I'm going to talk to him about that. That would be fantastic. I've worked places where they hired temps, so that's cool.

Thanks!