Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Excellence Defined.

Ello reminded me of Rumi today. My favorite Rumi quote, which is on my MySpace page, is "Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground."

MySpace is fascinating. You know how some people have a quote they live by? Some live by WWJD (What Would Jesus Do?), others have all sorts of quotes. I suppose if I have any quote that serves as a guiding beacon, it would be that Rumi quote.

I adore Edvin Marton (he’s on my MySpace page, just so you can follow my line of thought, LOL). He’s a violinist from Russia who does lots of crossover, rock-style shows. I prefer my musicians to show some heart while playing; we are no longer an aural society. We are a visual one, and classical music needs to remember that.

Anyway, his playing tears my heart out. (The clip below isn’t his best; I suspect the cold from the ice had something to do with it.)

I watched this video nearly every night for months after the Olympics. Evgeny Plushenko’s performances that year were just amazing. They’re everything I strive for in music and words. Sometimes people ask me why we need so much perfection in music, in piano in particular. In art, we strive for perfection because we want nothing to get in the way of our message and the experience we’re providing.

This performance was incredible because it defines excellence for me, defines what I strive for in all art: perfection with passion. I hope you enjoy:

6 bonus scribbles:

Ello 12/13/2007 12:05:00 AM  

Brilliant performance. While the acoustics were not great in the rink you can still just hear his brilliance. I am now going to go find out more about him, thank you very much!

Erica Orloff 12/13/2007 06:56:00 AM  

Someone new to check out. Thanks, Spy.
E

lainey bancroft 12/13/2007 09:04:00 AM  

Wow, the energy of the music combined so perfectly with the energy of the skating.

Absolutely lovely. Thanks, Spy.

Edie 12/13/2007 09:53:00 AM  

A lovely way to start my morning. Thanks, Spy!

Michele 12/13/2007 02:13:00 PM  

I hadn't seen that performance before now. Stunning. The music and the skating. Thanks for sharing the clip, Spy.

spyscribbler 12/13/2007 07:32:00 PM  

Yeah, guys, I'm crazy about it. The quality isn't quite the quality NBC got, but beggars can't be choosers! :-)