Saturday, December 15, 2007

Measuring Worth.

A friend of mine said of a friend of hers never eats any more, because it’s just too much work to make good food. The friend of mine agreed, and I know exactly how she feels. Sometimes things are such a bother, you know?

I can’t tell you how many people have told me that they’re not decorating this year, because it’s just too much work. I understand that, too. I doubt I’d do it if it weren’t for DH; he does most of the work.

As I spent all day making cookie dough yesterday, I was exhausted. We spent hours yesterday and the day before trimming the tree and putting up the last of the Christmas decorations.

After all that work, at the end of the day yesterday I stretched out on our futon and spent five minutes watching the lights twinkle on the tree.

How is it that those five minutes were so wonderful and relaxing and full of warm fuzzies that I thought it was all worth it?

Then there’s Christmas Day dinner. DH and I spend weeks deciding what we’re going to eat, we spend hours shopping and a whole day and a half cooking.

For what? One hour of eating?

And I can definitely say it’s worth it, every second. Nothing tastes better than your own efforts, you know?

Yesterday, when I was showing DH how to make cookies and cookie dough, I told him he had to stir and beat clockwise, and think happy, loving thoughts. When I make cookie dough, I pray for blessings of health, happiness, and prosperity for those who eat them.

He thinks I’m crazy, but cute. I think he did it anyway.

In our society, we’re so hard-pressed to do more, more, more, especially for our careers. Life is so amazingly busy, that we look for ways to save time, ways to be more convenient.

Hard work finished always feels good; hard work yet to be done makes me feel overwhelmed. Sometimes I forget how much joy a dinner can give, how much love a cookie can spread, and how warm a Christmas tree can make my heart.

7 bonus scribbles:

Kate S 12/15/2007 03:11:00 PM  

Awww....... :)

I know what you mean about hard work finished vs. hard work yet to do. It's hard work just reminding myself that I'll feel better once it's all done. :)

lainey bancroft 12/15/2007 03:36:00 PM  

I don't think you forgot, Spy. And you did a nice job of reminding the rest of us.


hmm, I just try to stir all the calories out of my cookie dough, but now I'm going to start stirring in the love and good wishes too. =)

Aimless Writer 12/15/2007 04:00:00 PM  

Inspiring post. Its good to be reminded of the joy in the little things for we often forget to see it.
God Bless Spy scribbler!

Erica Orloff 12/15/2007 04:05:00 PM  

Beautiful.

It reminds me of voluteering at the holidays. I just organized and did a clothing and toy drive. It was exhausting. The day I had to take the stuff to the distribution center, I had strep. I felt like . . . why am I doing this? Why am I putting more on my plate? And then . . . you see someone get a gift that otherwise they wouldn't . . . and you want to kick yourself in the a** for being such an idiot and forgetting the season really is a warm fuzzy one.

Thanks for the reminder, Spy. Consider my a** kicked. With tinsel. :-)

xo
E

spyscribbler 12/16/2007 09:45:00 AM  

YES, Kate! If I could just drill that in my head, I'd be a happier person, LOL.

Lainey, I did forget. I forget all the time. Especially about the little joys, like a clean house and home-cooked meal and stuff like that.

You can do both, Lainey! Go counter-clockwise for the calories and clockwise for the love and good wishes! ;-)

spyscribbler 12/16/2007 09:49:00 AM  

You, too, Aimless! I mostly wrote it to inspire myself to make more cookies, LOL.

Erica, you? Ass-kicking? Goodness gracious, I can't even imagine doing all you do. Your life kicks my ass every day!

Edie 12/16/2007 10:58:00 AM  

I love the thought of mixing blessings in with the cookie dough! When I water the plants, I always bless them. I don't make cookies (my husband makes them for Christmas), but I'll put blessings into my food the next time I make something. Thanks for the idea!