Thursday, December 13, 2007

Morbid & Happy Thoughts.

So you heard that Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer’s? It’s just in the beginning stages, and he says "I think there’s time for at least a few more books yet."

Let’s hope so. I just discovered him last year or so through Neil Gaiman and his partnership with Terry Pratchett on Good Omens. (Loved it!) So I’ll have a backlist and some new ones to explore! (Let’s hope!)

Diet (or new way of eating) is going well and my brain is working again, but now I’m baking Christmas cookies. We might allow sugar for ONE week. We’ll see. I’m not looking forward to going through sugar detox again, LOL, so maybe I’ll be strong. I hope.

I have a tree to finish decorating and cookies to bake, so wanna play?

1) What’s your favorite Christmas cookie?
2) What’s your favorite kind of Christmas tree? (We got a Blue Spruce: OUCH! We had to decorate it with GLOVES on!)
3) Okay, here’s a morbid question: What author’s (not a friend-author or acquaintance-author, but some author you don’t know) death (or, I suppose, retirement) would make you cry?

14 bonus scribbles:

Susan Helene Gottfried 12/13/2007 07:38:00 PM  

I'll answer the morbid question first: TC Boyle. Losing him would make me cry.

As for the cookies, throw 'em in the freezer and have one a month. They'll last forever and since they'll be out of sight, you'll be less tempted to eat them in one sitting (it actually works for me, believe it or not!).

Hang in there with the diet; sounds like you're doing great.

Erica Orloff 12/13/2007 08:13:00 PM  

Hi Spy . . .
Ooops . . . I left my commetn on another post. Same message. I had NO idea about him. I am so, so, so sad . . . crying actually.

E

Avery DeBow 12/13/2007 08:32:00 PM  

It's aggravating knowing we spend so many years building ourselves into something, only to inevitably lose it all in the end. But, I guess it's the ride that counts, right?

1) New recipes. Some turn out great, some totally inedible. But I get a kick out of trying.

2) I don't know anything about real trees. Sad, but true. Does a tinsel tree count? I like them.

3) Marion Zimmer Bradley's death made me very sad. I'm not gonna play the rest; I don't want to call the reaper's attention to anyone.

Aimless Writer 12/13/2007 09:21:00 PM  

My daughter's Gluten free chocolate chip cookies.
We have a fake tree due to allergies. (Apparently, I'm allergic to every tree and blade of grass on the planet.)
If Stephen King died I'd sob like a baby. He's the only famous actor/author I ever REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to meet. (Knock on wood!)

spyscribbler 12/13/2007 10:21:00 PM  

Susan, I don't know TC Boyle. I should him at the top of my must-check-out list.

What a great idea about the cookies! I did eat one cookie with butter and milk and sugar. I have a headache to teach me better, so I think I'll take your advice! Although, the banana cookies were healthy and yummy and I good eat as many as I wanted!

spyscribbler 12/13/2007 10:28:00 PM  

It is sad, I understand, Erica. If John Irving made that announcement, I'd bawl like a baby.

Avery, that's a great way to look at it. The ride is what counts.

I'm trying a bunch of new recipes too, this year! A tinsel tree counts. :-) And I was sad about Marian Zimmer Bradley, too. I didn't cry though.

spyscribbler 12/13/2007 10:29:00 PM  

Oh wow, Aimless, does she ever share that recipe? Stephen King is on my list, too. Not sure if I want to meet him, LOL. His picture is scary!

Bailey Stewart 12/13/2007 11:47:00 PM  

Alzheimer's, the devil itself.
It’s just in the beginning stages, and he says "I think there’s time for at least a few more books yet."

Depends upon how the disease progresses. In some people it starts out fast and then slows down so that the last phase lingers. Others progress slowly throughout the disease. With my mother it was a slow progression until the end when it hurtled to a world of screaming and hallucination. I fought the devil and I lost. Alzheimer's and I know each other well.

Favorite cookie: Peanut Butter Blossoms;
I'm allergic to pine/cedar, so it's a fake tree; and I would be upset at the death of Jennifer Crusie.

Edie 12/14/2007 09:19:00 AM  

That's so sad. My mother had a slow moving Alzheimer's, and I hate the disease. When Dr. Oz was on Oprah, he said the place where they have the least people with Alzheimer's is India, and it's probably because they use a lot of turmeric in their food. I got a couple recipes but haven't made them yet.

I bet your blue spruce looks fabulous! We have a fake one now, and what I love about it is we keep it up for so long.

Good luck keeping away from sugar. I'm addicted to it, I know. It's hard to get away from. It's even in ketchup.

Bernita 12/14/2007 09:26:00 AM  

Favourite cookies? Anything with lots of chocolate, coconut, nuts and cherries in it.
Tree? Spruce.
The death/retirement of any number wouldn't make me cry, but I would feel very sad - but then I feel that way when they close a series I love.

spyscribbler 12/14/2007 11:44:00 AM  

Oh Bailey, it sounds like a heartbreaking illness to me. All we can do is hope for the best, I guess. I'm going to look up Peanut Butter Blossoms!

Edie, I'm sorry. It is an awful illness. That's interesting about Dr. Oz! Here's another one for Golden Milk I make and drink every night. It's wonderful, and it really does work as an anti-inflammatory and makes me more flexible and stuff. It's also soothing and warm and perfect just before going to bed:

Mix 1 Tbsp of turmeric powder in 1 cup of pure water and boil in a saucepan until a thick paste is formed about 5 minutes, add more water as needed. You may store this paste for up to 30 days. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate.

After the paste is made, mix together in a saucepan 1 cup of Soy, Almond or Dairy Milk, 1 tsp of edible almond oil, 1⁄4 tsp of turmeric paste and honey to taste. While stirring on low heat, bring the milk just to the boiling point. The mixture may be then blended in an electric blender to make a beautiful foamy drink or just drink as is. This drink is especially beneficial for stiff joints ‘breaking up calcium deposits that cause stiffness’ 3, and is a source of lubrication for the system.

spyscribbler 12/14/2007 11:45:00 AM  

LOL, we're opposite on cookies, Bernita! (If you mean all that stuff together ...) But I make these cherry bon bons that are to die for. Yummy!

J.K. Mahal 12/14/2007 12:37:00 PM  

1. Gingersnaps
2.Douglas Fir. I get one every year.
3. Jenny Crusie. I love her books.

So sad about Pratchett. But as he said, don't mourn him yet.

spyscribbler 12/16/2007 08:01:00 PM  

J.K., I love gingersnaps, and we usually get a Douglas Fir. I love Jenny Crusie's endings, but I just haven't gotten into her new direction, surprisingly enough. Time will tell, though!