Friday, December 28, 2007

More. And Time.

I’m contemplating my life, it being the end of the year and all. Two themes have emerged.

First, I want to do more this year than I did last year.

Second, I want to make more time for the non-careers stuff.

This is a problem, since doing more means I’ll have less time for the non-careers stuff. So I’m looking at my life and wondering where I can cut some time. How can I do more in less time?

What goes with this is a fair bit of guilt. I remember, in my high school weight-lifting room, a poster that read: Are You Working Harder Than Your Competition?

I, being the competitive sort, have a tendency to carry around that saying--or at least the guilt of that saying. The truth is, some people may miss out on a bit of life, but there will always be someone out there working harder and longer than you.

So right now, I’m trying to work out how much I can not sacrifice, and how much I need to sacrifice. I have certain goals that I’m willing to sacrifice quite a bit for, without batting an eyelash. But then, somewhere we need to draw the line. And what if we draw that line too low?

I hoping that my resolution to do one thing at a time with full concentration will make my time spent more productive, and thereby free up some time.

We’ll see, I guess.

I often draw that line unintentionally. Like, I plan on spending ten minutes in the shower, but I spend an hour. It’s the only place I can think. And I seem to need a lot of thinking time in my day. Is that crazy?

Or I’ll plan on leaving the house at ten, but then I see the cats. And I need to spend quality time with each of the cats, play with them a bit, give them cuddles (more for my benefit than theirs) and it ends up being ten-thirty before I leave.

I don’t make thinking time or cuddle time a priority in my planning, but I do it anyway. So I need to plan for it. But when I plan my goals, shower times seems like a ridiculous, unnecessary indulgence. And ... come on ... thirty minutes to play with cats vs. my career/s?

Why do I get the feeling that I won’t even be done with my New Year’s Resolutions in time for the New Year?

Today’s Brilliance: Please don’t miss Ewoh’s comments on Erica Orloff’s blog about Resolutions.

3 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 12/29/2007 08:48:00 AM  

I think I'm going to resolve to feel less guilty. And to take advantage of opportunities. And to just breathe in. And breathe out.

Edie 12/29/2007 07:41:00 PM  

I stop typing to pet my cat when she's in the mood for it. (I know she wants this because she jumps up on my desk and walks in front of my monitor.) When I put her on the floor, I feel guilty.

I have writer friends who are crazy women, writing 20 to 37 pages a day. It makes me feel like a slug because some days I only write 5 pages. But I can't compare myself to them.

spyscribbler 12/29/2007 10:48:00 PM  

WriteNow, that is a PERFECT resolution. Guilt is the enemy! I was just reading about time management, and how when our schedule is crushed with never enough time for anything, even the things we love to do will feel like a burden. And then we carry guilt around about everything.

Edie, me too! In fact, LOL, my cat likes to crawl behind my butt and sit in my chair. Pretty soon I realize I am on the computer, kneeling on the floor so that my cat can have the floor.

The things we do for those we love.

5 pages is awesome. 5 pages will net you more than 350,000 words a year. Even the Nora doesn't publish many more words than that.