Thursday, December 27, 2007

Our Deepest Fear?

I was busy today, holding the prettiest and lovingest and most adorable baby in the whole wide world.

So no deep thoughts today. When I got home from visiting the world’s cutest baby, DH was watching Coach Carter, and I drew inspiration from these words:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

But is it true? Do we really fear that we are powerful? Something to think about. What do you think?

10 bonus scribbles:

Edie 12/27/2007 11:53:00 PM  

I love that Marianne Williamson quotation. I'm pretty sure that's not my deepest fear, but it does sound good, doesn't it? LOL

StarvingWriteNow 12/28/2007 06:21:00 AM  

Yes, I think it is true for some. We fear the good stuff because it seems to come with such a high price tag.

lainey bancroft 12/28/2007 09:11:00 AM  

No deep thoughts she says. *sheesh*

But yes, I agree to a great extent. Human beings are for the most part, creatures of habit. If you keep doing what you're doing, you keep getting the same results you've learned to live with.

If you reach for the stars, what if you capture one?

Erica Orloff 12/28/2007 09:20:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
Every once in a while, I hear that voice. But I try my hardest to push past it. Like wanting to start a free night school for migrants . . . Sometimes I hear a voice that says, "Who are you to think you can be a voice for these people?" and other times, the voice says, "If not you, then who?"

Sometimes, what I have done in my life seems preposterous. Who gets to be a novelist? Who works for some of the causes I do? Who mothers four kids and wants to adopt more? Sometimes, the bad voice says, "How dare you hope for more? Want more?" So yeah . . . I hear it, but tell it to shut up. I think most people go through this life sleepwalking.
E

spyscribbler 12/28/2007 11:46:00 PM  

It does sound good, Edie! It was one of those things where I saw it, felt inspired, and then afterwards wondered if it applied to me, LOL. I do know that sometimes I fear my power and shrink away from it. Sometimes I'm just not comfortable with it.

spyscribbler 12/28/2007 11:47:00 PM  

WriteNow, you're right. Power comes with a huge price tag of responsibility, doesn't it? The thought of more responsibility is certainly terrifying!

spyscribbler 12/28/2007 11:49:00 PM  

LOL, Lainey. Very true about habits and results. I don't understand why that's so hard for some people to understand. I have students who stubbornly practice the same way because that's the way they learn (or so they say), but it doesn't WORK. It's easier for them to say I'm not good enough then it is for them to change their habits so they'll succeed!

spyscribbler 12/28/2007 11:53:00 PM  

All so true, Erica. I have to tell you, your life both inspires and terrifies me, LOL! (And I mean that in a good way.) I don't know how you do it all. And you always generously offer to do more! How do you fit it all in? It seems impossible to me!

Erica Orloff 12/29/2007 10:23:00 AM  

Spy:
I have the advantage that when I am "on," I operate at warp speed and seem to be able to do more than most people with the same amount of time--I even think about the most time-sparing way to do dishes or laundry--no motion wasted. Do more with less time. :-)
E

spyscribbler 12/29/2007 10:50:00 PM  

Erica, I love that. "Do more with less time." I want to do that! I really want to do that!