Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Roar for Powerful Words!

I have half a bag of milk chocolate chips in my cupboard, and very much want to put four of them on top of my very healthy oatmeal cookie. I’m going to try not to.

Do you ever have a dream where your loved one dies? Please tell me this is normal.

2104209256_2f4e2f8858_m

Mark Terry awarded me a "Roar for Powerful Words!" Thank you! Started by Seamus Kearney, the award "aims to celebrate good and powerful writing in the blogosphere. The idea is for recipients of this award to also choose five blogsters they would like to honour. Despite what some say in the mainstream media, there is some fantastic writing to be found on many blogs!"

We’re supposed to "list three things they believe are necessary for good, powerful writing; and then pass the award on to the five blogs they want to honour, who in turn pass it on to five others, etc etc. Let’s send a roar through the blogosphere!"

Problem is, I’m still feeling sort of blank-minded. (Need chocolate.) Well, here goes, anyway:

1. Blank Mind: (Hah! Nothing to do with my current state of blank-mindedness.) No, I mean that as writers, it helps to have the ability to temporarily erase all prior knowledge of your story, and read it and experience it as a reader would. If we understand how a (somewhat typical) reader experiences our words, we can manipulate the experience for them.

2. Heart: No explanation needed, right? Because I haven’t had those four chocolate chips.

3. Only one more? I want to put so many things, and I can’t decide which. Truth? Understanding? The ability to imagine oneself in other’s shoes? Empathy, even when true empathy does not exist? Respect for characters? Um ... imagination, rhythm!

Okay, I’ll settle on Rhythm for number three, only because not many talk about it and I think it’s ultra-important. Rhythm is intrinsic to life; the ability to perceive off rhythm is inherent in all humans. All the bestselling writers have impeccable rhythm of pacing, words, syllables, the whole lot.

Now I’m supposed to nominate five more bloggers for the Roar of Powerful Words:

  1. Bernita Harris, because every word she writes is used powerfully.
  2. Erica Orloff, because every blog she writes is powerful.
  3. Writenow, because she delivers one powerful laugh with every blog. (Okay, I’ll stop using the word powerful now. See? The award’s gone to my head.)
  4. Aimless Writer, because I wish she blogged more.
  5. Just one more? I can’t choose. Please, anyone who wants, join in! I read everyone’s blog here because I love your words.

On to some cool announcements: StarvingWritenow entered Bernita’s writing contest. All the entries have all been awesome, Writenow’s too.

Oh, yeah ... Bernita is having a writing contest. Under 250 words, inspired by a really cool picture. Ends Friday (I’m pretty sure!).

Brett Battles, author of The Cleaner, is blogging again!

And I swear, I saw this before Oprah did. They make great gifts. The recipient gets to choose for him/herself who they want to help.

10 bonus scribbles:

Loreth Anne White,  12/12/2007 01:04:00 AM  

Congrats, Spy. Well deserved! You get the chocolate now :)

I've never dreamt that a loved one died, but I did die myself in a dream many years ago. I separated out of the injured body and watched it tumbling down a cliff to the ocean and all. It was a bear that did me in, broke my neck with a swipe, and I heard and felt it crack -- and this was maybe 15 years before I came to live in major bear country. There were no bears where I lived in Africa, and I had not thought of coming to live here at the time.

Still feel odd about that dream. I'd love to know of others who died in their own dreams.

L

Bernita 12/12/2007 06:05:00 AM  

Yes,I think it's normal to have a dream like that occasionally. It's called an anxiety dream.
My Dear, thank you for the Lion.
I am honoured.
The entries for the contest have been so good, I practically wringing my hands over how I will ever choose.

spyscribbler 12/12/2007 09:16:00 AM  

Why thank you, Loreth!

Ugh, that was the worst dream. I woke up wanting to cry and had to go lean against him for an hour.

But yours, wow, that's scary. Particularly since you go running amongst those bears all the time! Yikes!

spyscribbler 12/12/2007 09:17:00 AM  

Okay, Bernita. He's looking really good and doing some really healthy stuff, so I shouldn't worry.

I am definitely glad I'm not in your shoes, Bernita, in judging that contest!

Edie 12/12/2007 09:24:00 AM  

Congratulations, Spy! Your blog and Erica's are my two must-read blogs every day. I'll hop over to the other blogs you mentioned. :)

StarvingWriteNow 12/12/2007 11:35:00 AM  

Hey, thanks for the mention--I'm glad I can make people laugh.

I think Bernita's right about the whole anxiety thing. I have had the death dream, & the disappearing dream as well--where your loved one is there one minute and gone the next. Awful.

When I'm especially stressed I have tornado dreams. The last one was a doozy; when the tornado passed my dog was gone and I was crying and crying and looking for him... woke up exhausted and depressed. Ugh.

Anonymous,  12/12/2007 02:00:00 PM  

Well-deserved recognition. You always have the most thoughtful posts.

spyscribbler 12/12/2007 10:46:00 PM  

Edie, Magical Musings is for me, too. Well, actually, I read everyone's everyday. Don't know what I'd do without everyone's blogs!

Oh, Writenow, that's devastating. Well, I guess it's not since it didn't happen, but it still feels it. Definitely draining.

I think I was processing the fact that it looks like DH is going to have to leave to go to work again. Since I'm ignoring it all day, I guess my brain was trying to deal with it through sleep.

*sigh*

spyscribbler 12/12/2007 10:47:00 PM  

Thank you, anonymous!

LOL, I pretty much feel like Bridget Jones here: "everyone knows diaries are full of crap.

J.K. Mahal 12/13/2007 03:15:00 PM  

Congrats, Spy, on the Roar!

I haven't had a death dream about my DH, but a friend did and she was so disquieted she called me and told me about it, just in case there was anything in it that could come true.

Unsettling. I hope your next cycle of dreams are much nicer.