Friday, December 21, 2007

"Take a left turn, then fly!"

So last night I was sitting in bed googling "story" because I was just feeling all lovey-dovey about it. (Does it sound melodramatic to say my heart was swelling with it?) So I came across the SMITH Magazine. It describes itself: "SMITH explores storytelling in all its forms. We’re personal and participatory. Read a story. Write a story. Come in."

They host--are?--the Six Word Memoir. Remember that? Where people write a six-word memoir about themselves? Their book is being released in February: I can’t wait!

My favorites are:

"Take a left turn, then fly." – Hillary Carlip
"Barrister, barista, what’s the diff, Mom?" – Abigail Moorhouse
"Me see world! Me write stories!" – Elizabeth Gilbert

Spock, er, Leonard Nimoy has his "Full Body Project," photographs of "proud fat women" in black and white. I was feeling iffy about the idea, but I love it. The human body is a beautiful thing.

There’s also some diaries, including one tasteful and honest, non-Jerry Springer-type diary by a Dominatrix, called Writing the Whip.

I should mention here that there are plenty of non-sexual, non-naked offerings on the SMITH Magazine. The bits I’ve gathered to share are probably more reflective of me than it, LOL. It’s a fascinating site with something for nearly everyone.

I tried a few six-word memoirs, but they don’t feel right, yet:

Music, story: my life, my arts.
Alone. Independent, then joined. Finally safe.
Ten fingers: many words, many notes.
Kick, write, play music. Always striving.

What would yours be? (Or is, if you’ve already done it).

5 bonus scribbles:

Edie 12/21/2007 10:52:00 AM  

She persevered and she made it! :)

Love Elizabeth Gilbert's.

StarvingWriteNow 12/21/2007 12:14:00 PM  

umm... how about:

Hang on, I'm not done yet!

Feet grounded, heart in full flight.

Suck it up and sail on.

Erica Orloff 12/21/2007 03:38:00 PM  

Loss, pain, love, children, grace, peace

E

Bailey Stewart 12/21/2007 06:17:00 PM  

Memory, pain, Christmas, love, baking done.

J.K. Mahal 12/23/2007 07:46:00 PM  

One foot in front of other.

Kidnapped. Rescued. Matter of perspective.

Soap opera life. Found love. Happy.

Hmm, this is hard!!