Tuesday, December 11, 2007

thx.

thx 4 stopin by 2day. how r u? i luv da w8 4 xmas.

This is the third message I’ve gotten in the last month or so from the 18 - 24 year old crowd. I can’t bear it.

It’s bad enough that one generation is starting to write like this, but will the next generation, and the next? What I’m asking, is when I’m sixty, will half the population be writing emails in that damned shorthand?

It’s just awful! I read that, and I automatically think I’m looking at an idiot.

4 bonus scribbles:

Erica Orloff 12/12/2007 07:13:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
Well . . . I tend to look at it as a positive. I.e., the world is getting smaller with texting, people aren't boxed in by time or place. My kids can all text like that--but they all read multiple books a week and not one of them spells like that in real life.

E

lainey bancroft 12/12/2007 08:30:00 AM  

Hmm. I wouldn't think idiot, but I'd expect it to be more the 12-16 crowd than 18-24. I think it's very telling of maturity level. The first week I was on MySpace, I nearly fainted when I got a message saying someone wanted to friend me "cuz thye lvd meeting hawt girlz. :0....Yo junior, check the profile. I could be your mom!

I'm not keen on it either, Spy. Fine for phone texting, but if you're going to take the time to drop someone a note, I feel you should...well, take the time.

spyscribbler 12/12/2007 09:19:00 AM  

That's a good spin on it, Erica. That's a relief to know. I had the same prejudice against DH (I met him online at first, and he's not so great at writing sentences). I'm not saying they are idiots, but when I look at words like that, it's the first assumption I make. (Not saying that's good, either!)

spyscribbler 12/12/2007 09:22:00 AM  

Yikes, Lainey, really? This is my pseudonym. I don't want any under 18s there! I have all the no-one-under-21 boxes check, but what's to keep a child from lying about their age? *sigh*