Sunday, December 02, 2007

Time to Think About Goals.

It’s December already, can you believe it? Many are taking stock of last year and starting to set their goals for next year. I love this process, but I’m late starting it. :-) I’m late realizing it’s December. Nope, I’m late realizing it’s 2007!

That’s okay, because here’s some great posts to get the ball rolling. (The mind rolling?)

JA Konrath has a fabulous post collecting many writers’ goals for 2008. Inspiring! I particularly liked when Barry Eisler said:

It sounds odd, but focusing too much on the goal once you’ve figured out what it is is counterproductive. Cops involved in a shooting typically report a telling sequence: surprised, they get their weapon out and shoot instinctively, thinking things like "Die!" and "Go down!" Of course, hitting the other guy is one of the key goals in a gunfight (the other being not to get hit yourself). What’s interesting is that, at this stage of the gunfight, the cop can’t seem to hit the target. Then, after a second, the training kicks in. The cop stops thinking "Go down!" and instead reverts to the sequence he learned to concentrate on in training: aggressive stance. Gorilla grip. Front sight on the target. Roll the trigger.

And bam, like magic, the bad guy falls down.

And over at Murder She Writes, Karin asks what you would do to reach your goals. BE chimes in with what she wouldn’t do.

Finally, who recommended the Achieve Planner Planning Software by Effexis? I’m sorry I’ve forgotten who, but great advice! Looks fascinating!

Have you given any thought to your goals lately? Can "need less sleep" be a goal? Is it achievable? I picked up three sleep books yesterday and they said "no." Isn’t that depressing?

22 bonus scribbles:

Edie 12/02/2007 02:21:00 PM  

Right now my one goal is to finish my book, make it the best I can, and send it out. (Besides the weight goal, which I'm actually achieving in very slow increments.) After that, I'm going to work on my next book that keeps growing in my mind. I'm getting excited about it. It's different than anything I've written before. There is no romance in it at all, and I can write it as a middle grade book or a mainstream. I'm tending toward the middle grade.

So, there you go. Lose weight, write better books.

J.K. Mahal 12/02/2007 06:31:00 PM  

At the start of this year, I had some lofty business goals. Finish three books, go to writer's conferences, post regularly on my blog, start looking for an agent.

But now, in the last month, after a year that's had me away from home more often than at home, seen the loss of my father, the birth of my niece and my mother settled (by me) into a nursing home, my goal is just to finish writing the book I started the year with. That's it. Just finish the book.

Hopefully next year will be kinder.

Jen

Kate S 12/02/2007 06:35:00 PM  

My goals are the same as Edie's. Plus a couple more, including deciding who is cuter in the :)

Josephine Damian 12/02/2007 06:35:00 PM  

Well, if you've been to Joe's blog, you already know my goals.

But, SS, I too have lots of sleep issues. Yesterday I watched a sleep self-help segment on PBS... I, of course, fell asleep watching it :-) but no worries since it was DVR'd and I could watch it again.

I applied just one of the suggestions the "sleep doctor" made and noticed a big improvement already. More and better sleep is pretty high on my list of goals for 2008 - but I didn't think that was the kind of stuff Joe wanted to hear about.

Kate S 12/02/2007 06:37:00 PM  

No, it shouldn't have said "sheesh" it should have said "Kitten Wars". Sorry, Spy. *blush*

Bailey Stewart 12/02/2007 09:28:00 PM  

Sorry, I got caught up in the Kitten Wars.

My goals? To take each day as it comes, don't let the stress get to me, and make it through the holidays.

Barrie 12/03/2007 02:27:00 AM  

I was about to start typing a few of my goals and have realized I need to think about them a little more. I tend to make too many goals. Hmmm...so one of my goals is to make careful, thoughtful goals for the New Year. Also, I have sleep problems too. How interesting that so many of us are in the same boat...

Erica Orloff 12/03/2007 07:25:00 AM  

I am so depressed "need less sleep" isn't on there. I am convinced if I could function optimally on 5 hours, 7 days a week, I could get all my goals done.
E

Bernita 12/03/2007 09:18:00 AM  

Ha! I functioned on five hours sleep for years ( kids will do that) I don't want to revisit that period of deprivation.
My goal is just finish the frigging book by spring. All other goals are tentative and depend on that basic task.

StarvingWriteNow 12/03/2007 09:44:00 AM  

Sleep recharges your batteries. You kinda need that once in awhile.

I think my goal for next year is try, try again. Writing, that is.

spyscribbler 12/03/2007 03:47:00 PM  

Edie, good luck on that! You're almost there, right? Just a week or so of revisions? I love the "growing in the mind" thing. That's the fun part!

Congratulations on the weight thing. I'm trying to eat healthy. Why does bad food taste so good?

spyscribbler 12/03/2007 03:49:00 PM  

Those are some lofty goals! Sounds like a rough year. I'm with you on just finishing the book. I hope next year will be kinder to you, Jen!

spyscribbler 12/03/2007 03:51:00 PM  

Josephine, I misspoke. I don't have any problems sleeping. My problem is staying awake! I can't seem to function on less than eight or nine hours of sleep. I need that time to get things done!

There's no shortcut, though, is there? We humans need sleep, huh?

spyscribbler 12/03/2007 03:52:00 PM  

ROFLMAO, Kate! That site is evil, and I mean EVIL! I spent three hours there last night! I'll never get anything done with that site!

But the kittens are adorable and they made me smile and coo and laugh. :-)

spyscribbler 12/03/2007 03:54:00 PM  

"To take each day as it comes, don't let the stress get to me, and make it through the holidays."

Bailey, great goals. That's how I need to learn to live my life. And my daily mantra has become "may DH make it through the holidays!"

spyscribbler 12/03/2007 03:57:00 PM  

Barrie, I tend to make too many goals, too. I need some more time to think of mine, too.

I kinda like making too many, though. Half the fun, for me, is imagining a utopian-sort of life, striving for an ideal, unreachable perfection.

spyscribbler 12/03/2007 03:58:00 PM  

Oh gosh, Erica, AMEN! Me, too!!!!

spyscribbler 12/03/2007 04:01:00 PM  

LOL, Bernita! I want the five hours sleep, but I want it to feel like nine.

Good point about priorities. That's a really important thing to consider. I think I should prioritize my goals this year. We do, naturally, I suppose. :-)

spyscribbler 12/03/2007 04:02:00 PM  

Writenow, try, try again is probably the single best formula for success! Love it!

Josephine Damian 12/05/2007 09:41:00 AM  

SS, it took me a long time to make this connection, but most times, if you're tired, especially if you get enoough sleep (unlike you, I don't), it's because you're thirsty - fatigue is a symptom of thirst.

So the next time you're struggling to stay awake, instead of reaching for coffee or Coke, chug-a-lug a big glass of water. You'll be amazing at what a pick-me-up simple H2O is.

spyscribbler 12/05/2007 02:55:00 PM  

Really? Cool. I'm filling up my water bottle now. I have noticed that if I have to stay awake all night, drinking water and not eating helps me stay alert. I can see how what you say is true!