Saturday, December 29, 2007

We Have Number Three!

So we have a couple more, now.

  1. Do one thing at a time, with full concentration.
  2. Enjoy the work.
  3. Make health my number one priority.
  4. Visit my niece much more--ideally aim for once a month. (When I say niece I mean my best friend’s daughter; I am only kind of my step-niece and step-nephew’s aunt.)

Health is such a hard thing. The fact is, I don’t like waking up early. Even more, I don’t feel like waking up early to do yoga. I don’t feel like taking a walk after work (my foot doesn’t feel like it either, but that’s another issue).

The irony is that if I woke up early and did yoga every morning, I’d feel great and I wouldn’t be aching all the time. So why, for goodness sake, is it not just a simple matter of using reasoning on myself to get up and do yoga? Why, when I know it will make me feel great (but make my foot swell up), don’t I just take a walk after work?

I read somewhere that when doctors tell patients to make lifestyle changes that will save their lives, nearly 70% do not make those lifestyle changes. How ridiculous is that? Um, yeah, I’d rather eat sugar and trans-fats and smoke and not exercise than live!

Ridiculous.

But here I am, being ridiculous, not exercising, eating meat and sugar and dairy and wheat and in pain twenty-four hours a day for no sane reason. That must be the definition of insanity.

My latest version of insanity is to eat all the chocolate, cookies, sweets, and butter in the house so that there’s none left so that I can start eating right on January 1. And my further insanity is buying and eating more dairy, like spinach and artichoke dip (love the stuff!) with white bread (tastes like candy), while I "still can," as in, before January 1.

The fact is, I have lived useless years where I was mostly in bed, of no use to myself or anyone else. I never want to go there again.

My body is my vehicle for this life, and if I want to go be of service to others, if I want to be of service to my family and friends, then I need a vehicle in good working condition. Skimping on my health "for their sake" or for my careers’ sake will not serve anything.

(Thank you for serving witness to that self-lecture.)

I’ve come to realize that we have to find our own healing. It’s ridiculous, but it seems the only way I get better is to self-diagnose and get out there and research and heal myself.

So tell me: do you have anything on your list that you just don’t particularly want to do even though you would love the benefits? How do you motivate yourself to do that which you don’t want to do but want to have done?

(You can ignore the rest of the post. I’m seeing if blogiverse magic is still working, where, when you put a problem out there, you magically stumble over the solution on the internet.)

The top item on my to-do list this year is to fix my foot. I thought it was better, but since the day of making cookies and running around shopping malls, my foot has been swollen. A foot should not be shooting pain and collapsing nearly a year and a half after a "medium sprain."

I’ve tried nearly everything: chiropractor, soft-tissue healing, MRI, X-ray, damned Cleveland Clinic quack-doctor.

So, blogiverse, got any magic for me? How can I heal my foot?

8 bonus scribbles:

Erica Orloff 12/30/2007 12:36:00 AM  

Hmmm. My list inclues going back to macrobiotics and being a vegan. For the same reasons. I am not so far off the path . . . but enough that it's noticable in my health. For me, the monotony gets to me, I think. And the BIG one, the time. My time is so precious and eating a very demanding yet wonderful diet means PLANNING meals. When I was super strict on it a year ago, I took a vacation (eating out 3 meals a day.) I was shocked that some restaurants, like TGIF Fridays offered NOTHING I could eat. Not one item except a baked potato. And even that is a bit of a cheat. I went to Disneyworld and the entire park was a macrobiotioc nightmare. So planning, and the lack of convenience foods are my nemesis. But it's just a matter of planning and setting aside good choices for the week. KNOWING I will have tired days when I don't want to steam rice and having my alternatives or pre-cooked things.
E

spyscribbler 12/30/2007 01:13:00 AM  

Me, too, on the vegan and macrobiotic thing. I was strict about six years ago, before DH moved out here, but now I'm not; I tend to start eating miso soup and salad when I start getting lazy about cooking. And then I start getting a little hyper and out of balance, LOL. I do need to plan more.

I want to try some more raw foods, too. I'm not certain I'll end up macrobiotic, but it'll probably be some combination of juices, vegan, macrobiotic, and raw.

I just want to feel good again. If I listen, my body tells me what to eat. At least after I've cleared out the sugar and bad cravings and stuff.

writtenwyrdd 12/30/2007 08:52:00 AM  

Jeez, I'm sorry to hear about your foot. Have you seen a DO? They are the doctors (not chiros) who do manipulations. A chiropractor screwedup my neck and back, so I avoid them, although I almost went to school to become on before that.

As far as diets go, I know what you guys mean about planning. I struggle just to eat enough veggies. But as a cheerful carnivore I don't have to go so far as to play everything out so much as a vegan or macrobiotic eater.

If it wasn't bad for you to nuke plastic, I'd say get a seal a meal and you can save rice and whatnot ahead of time. But that wouldn't be vegan or macrobiotic then, would it?

lainey bancroft 12/30/2007 11:30:00 AM  

"My latest version of insanity is to eat all the chocolate, cookies, sweets, and butter in the house so that there’s none left so that I can start eating right on January 1."

LOLOLOL. Get OUT of my head! that's EXACTLY what I've been doing. I actually checked the label on my undies the other day, hoping like crazy I'd mixed up the laundry and got my daughter's undies by accident. I hadn't of course. :(

((hugs)) There's nothing worse than a sore foot. Try soaking it in epson salts, then rub it with tea tree mixed in mineral oil and put on cozy socks.

Edie 12/30/2007 04:21:00 PM  

Spy, so sorry about your foot. Have you tried acupuncture?

My goal is to eat healthy too, although not vegan or macrobiotic. I'm better than I used to, but not as good as I should be. So that's on my list. So is exercise -- which I used to do regularly. I need to start up again.

spyscribbler 12/31/2007 11:53:00 AM  

Writtenwyrrd, that's worth some research. My stepbrother is a genius, but he keeps fixing other stuff, LOL. I guess the other stuff is more important, but it's not more important to me!

Nuke? *shudder*

I hear what you're saying about the chiropractic doctor. The one I went to wasn't any help at all.

spyscribbler 12/31/2007 11:54:00 AM  

Lainey, since we're talking about undies, mine are so stretched that they'll never go back to normal!

Tea tree oil and mineral oil sounds great! I'll try that!

spyscribbler 12/31/2007 11:56:00 AM  

Edie, see, there's another avenue to pursue! I've always wanted to go to an acupuncturist. Have you been?

I need to do the exercise again. I did do thirty minutes of yoga last night, finally, after I've been telling myself to get back to it for a couple months now!

I think your blog post inspired me. :-)